Topic: Protection from Fire in a 1936 Ford

ctfordguy    -- 03-08-2011 @ 11:36 AM
  Hi,
Some time back there was an article, I think in the Early Bird magazine, on how to protect your car from fire. They put a 30 amp Circuit Breaker between the Solenoid and a wire that is the source for ALL electrical power except for the Battery Cables. Is there any logical spot to put such a safety device on a 36 Ford? I am putting a Master Shut-off Switch between the Negative battery cable and the floor starter button.
Thanks for any ideas.
Bruce
VINOKURS@AOL.COM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2011 @ 11:44 AM
  you should I believe put the master disconnect switch on the positive ground, between the battery and the ground, that should be ok, I have used this on my Model A for the past 35 years, when leaving the car, flip the switch, .
on my 37 I have a battery terminal disconnect switch,
and I NEVER leave it on when leaving the car for a long time,and I just rewired the car,
suggestion, if you have old wiring,REPLACE with NEW,
RHODE ISLAND is a fine place to buy them.
you will only buy once with them,do not go cheap,,,!!
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

ctfordguy    -- 03-08-2011 @ 11:51 AM
  Hi Ragtop,
Appreciate the reply. I have all new wiring. I'll have to check but I thought my Model A Master Disconnect Switch was on the Negative side as it is Positive ground. I'm getting old and maybe I'm having a SENIOR MOMENT.
Any suggestions on a Circuit Breaker?
Bruce

ctfordguy    -- 03-08-2011 @ 12:22 PM
  I am starting to hate computers. I wrote this question once, went off the site and came back later. It did not appear. I re-wrote it and now it shows up twice.
I could pull out my hair!
Bruce

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2011 @ 12:25 PM
  I always use the ground side of the battery,
I used other than original cables and placed the master switch between the seats of my Model A tudor,
this way ,I just reach down between the seats to disconnect the battery, I can do this while driving if I ever have a problem.
use 6 volt cables for the remote location ,welding cable work good for this,solder all connections,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN.
On my 37 I only have the positive termial switch on the battery, so I will have to be QUICK, if I ever had a problem, but it has a fuse for most of the electrical, lights horn, etc,

ctfordguy    -- 03-08-2011 @ 12:41 PM
  On my 29 Model A I have my Master switch in the angled hole in the frame support just in front of the where the cowl attaches to the frame. It's on the drivers side. The fuse you mention on your 37...Is that the one under the dash with the resistor or do you have an additional fuse?
Bruce

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2011 @ 4:18 PM
  The one on the resister block,is all that I use except for the radio . which has its own fuse,
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2725