Topic: Top Coating

MG    -- 03-07-2011 @ 2:20 PM
  The original fabric top on my '34 sedan is in good condition but in need of an application of top coating. I've found quart cans of this coating at various Classic Car parts houses but the price their asking seems excessive to me. Is there a product I can purchase at my local hardware/paint store which is a good/resonable substitute for what is offered at these specialty car stores?

This message was edited by MG on 3-7-11 @ 3:14 PM

supereal    -- 03-08-2011 @ 10:50 AM
  I'm not much for coating tops with anything, but you may wish to consider the material available for waterproofing tents, often sold at outdoor stores. Be sure to test it in an inconspicuous place to be sure it doesn't discolor the fabric.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2011 @ 12:36 PM
  I saw that AUTOZONE sell a protectant that is called Back to BLACK,
for tires and various other BLACK items on the modern car, it was aroud $6-$7, A few applications might be the trick, hope this helps. its worth a try,
37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 03-09-2011 @ 7:40 AM
  Mothers Back to Black is not a top dressing and will not renew the water proofing. It is a bumper and tire dressing and just provides cosmetic improvements. The top dressings sold for antique cars renew the water proofing and improve the appearance.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-09-2011 @ 1:54 PM
  TomO
I understand it MOTHERS BACK TO BLACK is not a top dressing, but like I said it might do the trick for HIS purpose ,it does repel water,I think it all depends
I used a top dressing on one top and over a period of time it started to come off,
it was also a concern by the poster of the expense of the top dressing,,I was just coming up with something that might help him out,and is worth a try atleast,,
my 3 cents worth 37 RAGTOPMAN

trjford8    -- 03-09-2011 @ 8:31 PM
  The old original top dressing was a petroleum product much like the black tire dressing they sold in Western Auto stores or J.C. Whitney. I don't know about the new stuff, but the old stuff probably could not be sold in today's world due to enviornmental restrictions. That may be why the new stuff is so expensive. Top dressing was only a temporary fix for an old top. To do it right you should replace it.
You might get lucky and find an old can of dressing at a swap meet. The brand that I recall is "Indian Head".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2719