Topic: 600x16 front tire problems

mikecnc    -- 03-07-2011 @ 11:06 AM
  I purchased 4 600x16 BF Goodrich www tires from Coker Tire in 7/10 for my 35 Tudor Sedan. The tires have max 1000 miles on them and have always been inflated at 30-32 pounds. The tires have worn excessively in the center; the right front is worn to the cords in the center and the left front has no tread left in the center. The outer edges of both fronts have lots of tread left. Everyone I ask says they are over inflated. The rear tires are like new. Does anyone have an answer or a solution for this problem?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-07-2011 @ 11:32 AM
  check you tire pressure gauge.with another and compare the 2 see if it is at fault,
and HOW OLD are the tire?
there are dates on them, maybe were sitting around for a number of years ? before being sold,maybe hard rubber, how did it ride and handle?
is the front end tight, king pins,SHOCKS, tie rods drag link, and was it aligned before installing tires,?
and were balanced. was the front end shaking at all, any cupping ? or just smooth,
can you post pictures ?
there are a lot of things that cause tire wear this is not normal,
I use the 600-16 Bias FIRESTONES, and are pretty decent tires,
but had some cupping on one tire because of a bad shock, on the one side in the front,but since then have installed new ones, the old FIRESTONES were on the car for 20 + years and thought it was time to change them for safty sake,
post a few pictures,so other can weigh in on this also,
Hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

MG    -- 03-07-2011 @ 2:11 PM
  Bent tie-rod......

deuce_roadster    -- 03-08-2011 @ 8:11 AM
  I also would bet on toe in/out ( or bent tie rod). Decades ago when I was in high school I had a car that I thought drove pretty well that wore out the front tires like that and after having the alignment checked with a front end machine, was told I was dragging my tires 200 feet sideways for every mile I drove.
Good luck!

trjford8    -- 03-08-2011 @ 8:38 AM
  I agree that is a toe-in/toe-out problem.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2011 @ 11:58 AM
  TOE IN, wears the outside
TOE OUT, wears the inside
and would wander all over the road,and hard to control
unfortunately this info,was not posted
center of tire wear, could be a lot of different things wrong,, but not a bent tierod.,
but it is possible if the worn tierods lets the wheels flip back and forth it might wear the inside,But I would assume you would feel the steering wheel shake,
37RAGTOPMAN
it will be interesting to find out , what the problem is, please post the problem when you find out,

supereal    -- 03-09-2011 @ 9:00 AM
  I vote with the tie rod guys. I once put a brand new set of expensive radials on my car before setting off on a long trip. I noticed a new tendency to wander a bit with the new tires, but finally got used to it, thinking the inflation was probably wrong. I was astounded to find that, about half way through my trip, that wires were coming out of the tread in the middle of both front tires! Closer examination showed that the place where I bought the tires had jacked up the car incorrectly, and bent one of the tie rods (it was a Mercedes) by not using the pads on each side of the car. Unless you have been in a collision, the only adjustment on your old Ford is toe-in. We usually set it at zero to compensate for any wear in the king bolts, etc.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2718