Topic: Gas not coming out of 1937 v8 Truck fuel pump

davidschmidt    -- 03-06-2011 @ 4:41 PM
  We just replaced the carb and fuel pump on a 1937 Ford Truck. Now when I press the starter, fuel isn't coming out of the fuel pump.

I've used compressed air in the gas tank to make sure that gas comes out of the fuel pump supply line that feeds the fuel pump. The fuel pump is new, so I'm not thinking that is the problem. I've just ordered the fuel pump push rod in case it's worn out and not giving a long enough stroke for the fuel pump diaphram to work.

Any other ideas why fuel doesn't come out of the fuel pump?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-06-2011 @ 5:17 PM
  try removing the fuel pump and working it by hand and see if it pumps fuel,you might have to prime it.
this will also test the NEW fuel pump,were did you buy it,if you work the pump by hand you should feel suction on the fuel in port of the fuel pump
how is the flex line, is it NEW ? sealed properly ?
if not , it will not pump the fuel,if leaking air,and not pulling a vacuumn, you can use a vacuunm gauge also on the in port on the fuel pump,
also have the line going to the carb,removed,at that time,so you have NO restrictions,
is there any inline fuel filters,??? maybe clogged ?
you can check the carb by removing one of the main jet drain screws and see if gas runs out of it,if any gas at all reached it,
if it does not, it might be that the needle and seat are stuck closed,
what make of carb is on the engine a 97 or what?
also make sure you have fuel in the tank, 1/2 of better.
if you dribble gas in the carb, it might start up the fuel pump so it works,
LETS HER HOW YOU MADE OUT,,,!!!
37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!!!!

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-6-11 @ 5:19 PM

supereal    -- 03-06-2011 @ 9:04 PM
  I suspect that you didn't get the rod placed in the cup on the end of the pump lever. It is easy to do that. We usually install the pump on the stand, then lower the complete unit onto the rod. The rods are hardly ever worn to the point the pump won't work. Be sure you have the correct pump, and that it matches the old one. If the truck ran before you changed pumps, it is unlikely that the rest of the system is the cause of the problem. Be sure you have the correct rod. Not all Ford parts interchange. There is an inch difference in rod length between the type for the iron and aluminum intakes.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-7-11 @ 8:55 AM

TomO    -- 03-07-2011 @ 5:19 PM
  Just because a pump is new, doesn't mean it will work correctly. If the input valve is leaking, the pump will not prime. Connect your vacuum gauge to the input of the pump and operate the starter. The pump should develop 10 inches of vacuum and take at least 1 minute to leak down to 0.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 03-07-2011 @ 8:53 PM
  Many good suggestions here. The most important is that the pushrod is engaged in the cup on the pump's lever. Another thing to verify is that the line from the tank is connected to the pump inlet port and that the line to the carburetor is connected to the pump's output port. You can verify by checking for vacuum at the inlet port and pressure at the output port when you either crank the engine with the pump installed or operate the pump by hand.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2712