Topic: Painting Ford Script?

ford1941    -- 03-04-2011 @ 9:14 PM
  I have a 41 Ford and I want to paint the blue Ford "script" on my new hubcaps, re-chromed rear bumper and grill. I have tried using a brush, but this method seems to produce sloppy results. Does anyone know the proper technique (or at least a better technique) for painting these scripts? Thanks, Scott

flatheadfan    -- 03-05-2011 @ 2:41 AM
  I can't speak for others but I have always had good luck using a paint marker. These markers can be found at most hobby shops or even big-box stores such as Walmart. Cost is nominal, usually under $3.

Tom

51f1    -- 03-05-2011 @ 6:32 AM
  Mask the script as best you can with tape (just get close to minimize the excess), spray the paint and use rubbing compound and lacquer thinner with a rag to remove the excess. It worked for me.

Richard

joe b    -- 03-05-2011 @ 7:04 AM
  I went to the hobby shop and found the correct color in one of those little bottles. Then, I got some of the small detail brushes they sell. I kind of "flowed" the paint in the center of the design and then gently brushed toward the outer edges. I did this on the script and hubcaps on my '41 and it came out very well.

EdB    -- 03-05-2011 @ 7:11 AM
  I used decals from
http://www.unorthodoxcreations.com/FordDecals.html.

He does not make decals for the 41 bumper & grill; bought some extra material and made my own.

trjford8    -- 03-05-2011 @ 9:59 AM
  I mask off the area as best I can and then spray the color. I let it dry and then use laquer thinner on a rag to clean up around the edges.

supereal    -- 03-05-2011 @ 9:59 AM
  We mask off the painted area with either the blue or green painter's tape. They seem to prevent the paint from creeping under the tape better than other kinds. We cover the area with the tape, then cut out the places to be painted with an Xacto knife. We flow paint into the areas desired and allow it to thoroughly dry before removing the tape, then clean up any smudges with Q Tips moistened with lacquer thinner or similar solvent. It is time consuming, but will produce excellent results with a bit of practice.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-05-2011 @ 12:11 PM
  Good hobby shops sell a liquid masking tape,
that you paint on were you do not want the paint to stick, after painting the hubcaps with enough coats and you are satisfied, you peal off the masking tape,
also buy brushes and thinnners,, so you can get the right flow of the paint,
hope this helps. 37RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8    -- 03-05-2011 @ 2:38 PM
  Ed, if your car will be judged on our Concourse, be aware that your decals may cost you some points.

Scott, I'd go for simplicity. Try trjford8's suggestion, as I'd think a stencil would have been Ford's method.

Alan

42ford    -- 03-05-2011 @ 2:54 PM
  We just sprayed the blue and used lacquer thinner to wipe the paint from the unwanted places. Try it on some old hub cap. It works great

ford1941    -- 03-06-2011 @ 5:03 AM
  Thank you for all the suggestions. I will try the mask and spray idea using laquer thinner on a cloth to clean around he edges afterwards. I also like the suggestion of trying on an old piece first. Thank you for all the suggestions, this has been very helpful. Scott

Stroker    -- 03-06-2011 @ 8:23 AM
  EdB:

That's an interesting product...I don't know why they couldn't use the same equipment to make
stencils that would solve everyone's desire to "get it right".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2702