Topic: Turn signals for a '41

rogbell    -- 03-02-2011 @ 11:59 AM
  Anyone have experience installing turn signals on a 1941 ford? Any particular source for a good kit? Thanks.

supereal    -- 03-02-2011 @ 3:19 PM
  There are several kits available, but most are not self canceling. Unless you modify the lights to increase brightness, or switch to LED's, the turn signals are usually not bright enough to be worth the cost and effort. Today's vehicles have such bright turn signals, most drivers don't see the older, small dim lights, particularly in daylight.

Gary M.    -- 03-02-2011 @ 5:51 PM
  Add a third brake light which suctions to the center of the back window. It is up high enough for cars to see and it flashes left and right with your directional signal . They are LED and come in 6v and 12v . Good Luck...

trjford8    -- 03-02-2011 @ 7:06 PM
  There are several turn signal swithches on the market. I would stay away from the cheap ones made in China. You can get a good one from Napa Auto Parts. It is the Signal-Stat 900. It is not self cancelling. It does come with instructions for wiring your car. Make sure you buy a good grade of flasher. I would attempt to find a NOS American made flasher.

carcrazy    -- 03-02-2011 @ 9:35 PM
  Many of the vendors offer turn signal switches and the parts required to install them. I have obtained mine from LeBarron Bonney. I like their part number A-13340-TSHD Directional Signal Switch which includes a 4-way hazard switch with indicator light (12 volt). Wiring instructions are included. Flasher must be ordered separately, either 6V or 12V. If you want to use a 3-prong plug assembly, they offer that also.

carguy    -- 03-03-2011 @ 5:15 AM
  Rhode Island Wiring also offers turn signal switches and they have the advantage of being able to you a harness to replace your original which will include the extra wiring to operate the turn signals.

At their web site look under supplies to find.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

rogbell    -- 03-03-2011 @ 12:02 PM
  Thanks for the input. I'd love to switch to LED's but I'm still 6V. Does anyone make a conversion to LED's for 6V.

supereal    -- 03-03-2011 @ 3:28 PM
  The "Brake Flasher" works fine on 6 volts.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-3-11 @ 3:30 PM

51f1    -- 03-03-2011 @ 4:42 PM
  I have 6-volt turn signals on my '51 F-1, and they seem to be plenty bright to me. I do have all new wiring.

Richard

Gary M.    -- 03-03-2011 @ 5:54 PM
  superbrightleds.com has a large assortment of 6v and 12v LED replacement bulbs.Choose wisely when ordering because you have a choice of many styles and pin arrangements. Check your sockets before ordering...

1934 Ford    -- 03-03-2011 @ 7:00 PM
  I used them on our 34 Fordor, love the idea but had to convert my cigar lighter to be the signal flasher.
Also added a loud 6V buzzer from Radio Shack so I could hear it. Who wants to be the Geezer driving along in old car with his turn signal on?
I recommend them.

Gary M.    -- 03-04-2011 @ 5:19 PM
  HA ! Thats funny you should say that about the buzzer. I did the exact same thing and didnt like the anoying sound of the buzzer,so I put some tape over the buzzer hole to partially block the sound. I got tired of that so now im replacing it with a chyme. Much more pleasing to the ear !

josephs6392    -- 03-05-2011 @ 4:25 PM
  If you are looking for a really nice set up for turn signals check out www.turnswitch.com
This is a company called Electro-Tech. I had already installed another type in my '40 pickup before I found this site. My next car will have one of these though.

4ford    -- 03-08-2011 @ 7:07 AM
  So reading some of the things about turn signals. I have a question.? Can i use the stock lights that are 12 volt and use a turn signal switch that you guys say to use and wire it in and make the back lights flash and the running lights on the fender flash?? I am rewireing the car or wireing the car becuse of all the wires are gone.
or do i need to figure out differnt lights?? I hope not...
Mike

TomO    -- 03-08-2011 @ 8:13 AM
  4ford,

If you have dual filament bulbs, you can use them, if not you will have to add accessory lights.

It is always easier to install a reproduction harness than wire a car from scratch and it will look neater.

Tom

trjford8    -- 03-08-2011 @ 8:35 AM
  Your stock rear lights will work fine as they are dual filament. You can use the 41 parking lamps for the signal lights, but they are singal filament. You would lose the parking light function. If you change the socket to a dual filament socket you can then have parking and turn signals in the same light.

supereal    -- 03-08-2011 @ 10:32 AM
  Given that parking lights are seldom used, it hardly warrants changing sockets and adding wiring.

4ford    -- 03-08-2011 @ 11:04 AM
  thanks guys

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2689