Topic: 36 dual exhaust?

quabbinman    -- 03-02-2011 @ 4:46 AM
  Is there a good source for a bolt on dual exhaust system for a 36 2dr slant??

supereal    -- 03-02-2011 @ 8:14 AM
  We haven't, over the years, found any dual exhaust systems that simply "bolt on". The left side presents problems, primarily in getting around the pedal area. We happen to have an excellent muffler shop nearby, and they make up the necessary pipes to fit. It takes some artistry, and the clearances are tight. Also, the expansion of the pipes when hot must be taken into consideration. It is a job that is best done on a hoist, and most existing bolts will likely either break or strip, and must be dealt with to install the new ones.

joe b    -- 03-02-2011 @ 12:54 PM
  I agree with Supereal. Take it to a good muffler shop,especially one that does custom work. I did for my '41 and they have been on 14 years now and still look in great shape.

ford38v8    -- 03-02-2011 @ 3:04 PM
  A small divot must be made on the driver's side pipe to clear the knee of the clutch pedal. This is done with a torch and ball peen hammer, being careful to not make the dent so deep that it restricts flow.

Alan

MDB    -- 03-02-2011 @ 5:26 PM
  You might try the tech line at Mac's (800) 877-0948, they supply a simple Dual Conversion Kit for 37-40 Car and 37-41 Pickup. Doubtful it would crossover to 36 without modification but possibly they would have some insight. Nothing ventured/Nothing gained. Good Luck.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-02-2011 @ 6:21 PM
  Buy a set of GOOD headers, like from REDS,
then find a GOOD EXHAUST SHOP and have the rest made up, it will save you hours in frustration on trying to get the stuff that is forsale to fit,
BEEN THERE DONE IT, SENT BACK, HAD DONE,EXCEPT I Installed the headers using stainless steel bolts,
also the shops use a much heavier gauge metal and it is ALUMINUMIZED which is very important if you want it to last, the stuff,from the venders seems that is made is much thinner and has no protective coating
NOW HAVE NO LEAKS OR RATTLES, and sound great with better mileage,,put mufflers on with only one baffle,
exhaust shop gave me a choice of mufflers,
sounds like a CORVETTE whem running at idle and mellow on the open road,
hope this helps, good luck 37RAGTOPMAN

quabbinman    -- 03-03-2011 @ 4:03 AM
  Thank you all for the info,will go the custom shop route...

parrish    -- 03-03-2011 @ 8:28 PM
  Call Red's Headers and talk to Jim. Nice stuff. Bought dual exhaust for a 39 and a 36 and they fit like a glove.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2687