Topic: Identifying Ford from photo

BNagel    -- 02-28-2011 @ 9:40 PM
  This is an early picture of my grandfather and one of his first cars in rural Louisiana. He was always a Ford guy, so I assumed this was a Ford and went from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of this, since it's all from internet research.

1936 "Tudor Slantback"
Because of the large aerial, I'm assuming it has a radio, unless it's a CB?
Picture is poor quality, but appears to have a greyhound hood ornament.

What I'm really wondering and can't find anywhere: was the two-tone a factory option or maybe through a dealership?

In case the attachment doesn't work, the picture can be viewed here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8uPonwhUWLeOWkY5qAEwbw?feat=directlink

ford38v8    -- 02-28-2011 @ 11:28 PM
  BNagel, You are correct in the model and greyhound, which itself was an aftermarket item unauthorized for a '36 ford. The two tone paint is also non conforming, as was the radio antenna. From those two clues and the look of your Grandfather, he may have been in law enforcement. Was he a Revenuer? Dangerous job in that neck of the woods!

Alan

BNagel    -- 03-01-2011 @ 12:06 AM
  Thanks for the help Alan. The library I was at had the Ford News magazines from 35/36, 36/37 so I was able to confirm the year, but not much else.

What is the greyhound hood ornamnet from? Is it just the wrong year, or a different manufacturer?

He wasn't a revenuer, that I know of. If this is from before the war, he worked on the farm and tinkered with cars. After, he was a mechanic and taught shop.

ford38v8    -- 03-01-2011 @ 10:00 PM
  BNagel, The Greyhound was originally on the Lincoln, not sure, maybe 1933 ? Then a well fed version on the Ford in 1934. All others were aftermarket. Original dogs are very valuable, and can be identified by the tail NOT connected to the hind leg.

Another look at the picture... Not so sure that is a Greyhound after all. There were dozens of ornaments available with universal mounts.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 3-1-11 @ 10:41 PM

dicker    -- 04-03-2011 @ 4:32 PM
  I bought an aftermarket greyhound with the tail and leg connected. Took a fine tooth hacksaw and separated them and with detail files made it look fairly close to authentic. Now I guess I'll take it off since it was not authorized for the 1936 Ford. Anyway, most people ask me what year is my JAGUAR!!!

flatfoot    -- 05-04-2011 @ 2:27 PM
  I believe this is a 1935 Tudor slantback. Greyhound is correct for that era. This was a police car at one time.

Stroker    -- 05-04-2011 @ 5:19 PM
  Flatfoot: So what is your logic regarding the 36 grille?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-04-2011 @ 5:37 PM
  flatfoot
if that is a 1935 it has the wrong wheels on it,
they are 36 wheels 37,38,39, with large bolt pattern,
35 had 16in wire wheels
just my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN
was this car on this web site a few months ago??? looks familar to me,

ford38v8    -- 05-04-2011 @ 6:58 PM
  Flatfoot, you are wrong on both points. Sorry.

Alan

ford38v8    -- 05-04-2011 @ 9:20 PM
  Flatfoot, you are wrong on both points. Sorry.

Alan

JM    -- 05-05-2011 @ 10:58 AM
  Alan, you can say that again ;-). Just kidding.

That is definitely a '36 Ford unless someone took a '35 body/chassis and installed '36 front and rear fenders, '36 front and rear bumpers, '36 SS headlight rings and lenses, '36 grille. '36 hood and '36 drums and wheels.
I have seen pictures of this car several times on this website or possibly other websites. Based on the antenna, the paint job and the cloths worn by the guy in the picture, I would also guess he was some type of law enforcement officer.

JM

ford38v8    -- 05-05-2011 @ 1:50 PM
  JM, I haven't a clue as to why my post came up twice. I've seen that happen with other posts also.

I guessed he was a Revenuer. Not a pleasant looking guy, is he?

To Flatfoot: I should have explained: The Greyhound was offered as an authorized Ford Accessory in 1934. This accessory would not fit a later Ford, and the Greyhound that did fit was an aftermarket item, not a Ford item.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2680