Topic: 48 FORD PART COLORS

FIGS48    -- 11-06-2009 @ 8:04 PM
  HELLO I'M NEW TO YOUR FORUM,
DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THE CORRECT COLORS ARE FOR THE FRAME, DRIVE TRAIN, AND STEERING PARTS FOR A 48 FORD COUPE? I'M DOING A FRAME OFF RESTROATION AND WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL LOOK
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
FIG-

trjford8    -- 11-06-2009 @ 8:21 PM
  Fig, welcome to the forum. Since you are a new member I might suggest that you purchase the V-8 Clubs 41-48 Ford restoration book.If you are doing a frame up restoration the book would be invaluable to you. I might also suggest that you join the Early Ford V-8 Club.The V-8 Times magazine offers a lot of good information to anyone who owns a 32-53 Ford car.
In answer to your question the motor(V-8) and the transmission were painted Ford blue. If you have the 6 cylinder the motor and transmission are painted a light green. The remainder of the drive train, steering gear and suspension should be painted a chassis black(semi-gloss black).
BTW you can order the 41-48 book and join the V-8 Club on the front page of this site.

donclink    -- 11-07-2009 @ 6:57 AM
  As Tom pointed out, the '41-48 Book' is a great reference for restoration efforts. I used the interior color formulas and had a local Dupont automotive paint supplier mix up the light gray and metallic-gray colors for the steering wheel and steering column, shifter, dash, and window garnish. The results were perfect. As far as the engine/transmission, there is only one source I know of that provides the correct 'Dark Blue' paint, and that is Bill Hirsch automotive. There are a several Ford 'dark blues' out there, but the '41-'48 engine blue is unique. Good luck with your restoration...

supereal    -- 11-07-2009 @ 7:40 AM
  A good source of various automotive paints is Eastwood. You can see their site at eastwood.com They sell a color called "chassis black" that is a good match for the chassis paint that Ford used. When painting a frame, be sure to use a "rust encapsulator" primer, as even the most careful preparation can't reach all the rust at the joints. Eastwood sells a good three step process.

42wagon    -- 11-07-2009 @ 10:53 AM
  The advice that the V8 engine and transmission would be blue and the remainder of the chassis and running gear is black is true as far as it goes. If your car has the spring covers (some 48s had them and some did not apparently)the covers should be unpainted. The gas tank may or may not have been painted.If painted the exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipe and muffler lost the paint pretty quickly.The steering column tube and shift rod were painted various colors depending on what model or body style you have.Engine accessories will be black or unpainted.

The best source for this information is the 41 to 48 Ford book.

FIGS48    -- 11-09-2009 @ 8:34 PM
  THANK YOU TO ALL FOR YOUR REPLYS
I WILL PICK UP THE BOOK YOU GUYS SUGGESTED.
GOT A LONG WAY TO GO AND THIS BOOK SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOING TO HELP
FEEL LIKE I GOT THE DIRTY WORK DONE, NOW TIME TO START PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER- THE FUN BEGINS!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=268