Topic: '36 Ford 4 door convertible

jbmurph148@gmail.com    -- 02-28-2011 @ 6:12 PM
  I want to put my above mentioned car up for sale but don't know what to ask for it. Can anyone help please ?

It's not restored, no rust out. Has been garaged for 55 yrs.Has most needed parts + very many extras.. long list incl 2 complete engines V-8 90 HP,2 transmissions, etc

It's only missing: rear fenders,canvas,running boards,seats

ford38v8    -- 02-28-2011 @ 11:40 PM
  jb, Pretty much impossible to predict what someone may pay for an unseen car, but one thing is for certain: A running drivable car is in one value range, a collection of parts is in another. Your model is a desirable one, but the lack of rear fenders, canvas, and seats alone may cost as much as the fair market value of your car. There is an old saying, very true, that the missing 5% of a car is worth more than the other 95%.

Alan

supereal    -- 03-01-2011 @ 11:35 AM
  As usual, Alan is right on. There were two open sedans in 1937, the phaeton and the convertible. The main difference is that the convertible had windows instead of curtains. Without seeing the car, but from your description, I'd guess it is between a #5 and #4. For the phaeton, the price guide shows $4200 for #5, 7000 for a #4. For the convertible sedan, the prices given are $4500 and $7400. A #2 example will reach close to $25,000 or better. That would be a fully restored car, but not a museum piece. The 4 door open cars are relatively rare, but that makes restoration much more difficult and expensive. Many don't like price guides, but you have to start somewhere. The "real" price is what someone actually pays for it. Prices paid during these tough times all seem to be quite weak, compared to the recent past.

supereal    -- 03-01-2011 @ 11:40 AM
  The second post is the right one, '36. I was on the wrong page of the guide.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-01-2011 @ 3:35 PM
  I think what you have to find out, is it a convertible sedan, or a phaeton,
the phaeton has a chrome windshield with stantions,that hold the windshield in place,
the convertible sedan has a fixed windshield.
the rear fenders, should be easy to find, I assume they are the same a a regular 36 sedan,
a friend of mine sold a fully restored convertible sedan with a trunk back for around $40,000.00 this was about 3 years ago,
the interior also is no problem,
contact LEBARON BONNEY. they have complete kits, not cheap but the best,
Also go to a good book store and but a OLD CAR VALUE GUIDE, it will be the best $5.00 you can spend,
also do a search on e-bay.
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN,

jbmurph148@gmail.com    -- 03-03-2011 @ 5:47 PM
  Thanks for all the help. It's a 4 door convertible #5
(not a Phaeton)
I just ordered the price guide as you suggest.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-06-2011 @ 1:28 PM
  Was wondering what a # 5 is ?
37RAGTOPMAN

jbmurph    -- 03-11-2011 @ 9:01 PM
  Rated on the car guide scale as a #5. ( restorable, not running )

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2678