Topic: '34 - '36 Dry Air Filter

thirtysixford    -- 02-27-2011 @ 6:06 PM
  I have several of these filters.

I recently took the filter medium and the screens (wire mesh) out of one. I bought a kit from one of the on-line parts houses to replace it.

How do you get the screens/copper medium) into the filter? All I have are cut fingers.

Maybe I should have left it alone.

supereal    -- 02-28-2011 @ 10:43 AM
  I would convert one to use a paper element, and keep the others in the event you wish to show the car. The old "brillo pad" air cleaners were good for keeping the rocks out, but did a less than admirable job of actually catching the dirt and grit. It is amazing that so many of these cars survived the dirt and gravel roads of the day with such primitive equipment. Henry Ford didn't have much use for air cleaners, and he thought that by pointing the Model T and A carb intakes rearward, inertia would prevent the engine from inhaling crud.

thirtysixford    -- 02-28-2011 @ 12:02 PM
  Thanks Super

I have thought about doing just that for some time. I have one that is rusted out and am in the process of slicing it open to see how a paper or even a K&N could be put inside. It's a lot more intricate inside than I would have imagined. I think most of the design was to silence the air flow through it.

Is there anyone selling a conversion to the paper style?

Mike

supereal    -- 02-28-2011 @ 1:18 PM
  If you don't want to convert a stock air filter, C&G sells one on page 129 of their catalog. Go to www.cgfordparts.com Yes, one of the design goals is to silence the air flow thru the cleaner. That is why the inside is more complicated than it would seem for the purpose.

ford38v8    -- 02-28-2011 @ 10:45 PM
  Mike,, I haven't seen the inside of one of these filters, but from the small size of the intake area, replacing the original brillo pad type filter with a paper filter you should get slightly higher vacuum readings, and you may run a bit richer. You might need a hotter plug or change your jets a bit smaller. This shouldn't be an issue if you are able to increase the effective sq inch area by creating multiple pleats as in an oil filter. Just be sure to not allow the pleats to interfere with each other, or the problem will become greater.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2670