Topic: 1933 Fordor conversion from 6V to 12V

Colin K    -- 02-27-2011 @ 3:54 PM
  I have an original car that I was going to save as a 6 volt restoration. I have rebuilt the generator and starter accordingly (for 6v)and had the complete wiring loom supplied by an "authentic" reproduction of the 6v system electrical wiring harness ready for install. The battery is also a 6v battery.

I was recently told the generator and the starter would be required to be rebuilt again if I was to change to 12v. Is this correct? What about the electrical wiring harness?

Also other things I will change are the wipers to a 12v reproduction rather than endure the vacuum style arrangement and the headlights and cowl lights will be converted to the 12v accessory available from the various reproduction houses. Therefore, new battery, 12v globes... What else do I need to consider - dash mods for globes, horns modification?? Will I need a fuse box system to accommodate these "modifications" and the anticipated load under a 12v system.

I would also like to put a column mounted indicator system in the car with the cowl lamps incorporating the front indicator. What are period style rear indicators - do these run through a globe in the rear tailight.

Any recommendations and information greatly appreciated

Cheers

Colin L Kilmaster

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-27-2011 @ 4:30 PM
  If I were you , I would trying the rebuilt 6 volts and see how they work out, give them a chance,
I been driving a 37CABRIOLET since 1979 and never even though about converting to 12 volts,
you will need to atleast to have the generator converted to 12 volts,and a voltage regulator,with all the wiring that goes along with it,
what about the original 6 volt coil? what to do with that,?
is it that you cannot buy a new 6 volt battery?
and are forced into 12 volts,?
this is just my 3 cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 02-27-2011 @ 4:53 PM
  Colin, The 6 volt wiring will work in most of the areas, but will have to be modified for a 12 volt voltage regulator.

You will have to have the field coils in the generator and starter replaced with 12 volt coils. The starter will work with 12 volts, but there is a possibility of damaging the ring gear on the flywheel because the starter is turning faster whe it engages. The generator will not keep the battery charged unless it is modified.

You will also need to change the ignition coil or have it rewound for 12 volts. The 33 did not have electrical gauges when new, if you added 6 volt gauges, you will have to replace them with 12 volt gauges. All of the light bulbs will have to be replaced. Your horns will also have to be converted to 12 volts or replaced with 12 volt ones.

I would leave it at 6 volts and purchase a voltage converter to power the wipers, if this is the only reason that yopu are converting to 12 volts. These cars are much more reliable and easier to trouble shoot if they are left in the stock configuration. The turn signals can be either 6 or 12 volts.

In the USA, most people use the stop light bulbs for turn signals in the rear. If you mount auxillary lights you will have to run extra wires to them.

Your car did not have a fuse box when new. When people modify the electrical system, they usually add the box for safety reasons.

Tom

MG    -- 02-27-2011 @ 5:07 PM
  Colin,

Given your post, is it that you are trying to stir things up on this forum? ;o) I can only ask why? Why do these modification? There's an old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". There's also the acornym "KISS" to be considered. Or, is it that you want to build a 'resto-rod'?

1933    -- 02-27-2011 @ 5:50 PM
  I have owned and driven a 33 ford for over 40 years and have all the original electrial components. It runs just fine. There is absolutly no good reason to change to a 12 volt system. I added signal lights to the rear tail lights and cowl lights with a column mounted indicator from the fiftys and it looks just fine. I also did the same to the rest of my cars and have never been point deducted when it came to judging. They usually show up at swap meets. I perfer the dark color unit as it doesn't stick out.

1934 Ford    -- 02-27-2011 @ 7:11 PM
  Ditto, word for word what 1933 wrote, except 38 years.
6 Volt was good enough for Henry Ford, it will work just fine for you too. If you don't ruin your grounds, with paint or rust, all will work great on 6 volts.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2668