Topic: Shocked while touching flattie head

SDExpoman    -- 02-26-2011 @ 10:16 AM
  I am using plug wires that have no insulated boot ends at spark plug connection. I bought the wires from C&G this way. I started the engine (8BA)and was attempting to check the head temp with my hand and got shocked. I was not even close to the the plugs. Being new to the hobby, is this a normal scenerio? Would insulated boots prevent being shocked? Or ???

Thanks

supereal    -- 02-26-2011 @ 10:36 AM
  Voltage to the spark plugs in in the order of 15,000 to 25,000 volts, and will jump to the nearest ground. There probably isn't one old car guy who hasn't gotten his teeth rattled by getting too close. We use a big fiber pliers to handle "live" plug wires. At the very least, you know you have good spark volume. Modern "high energy" systems produce even more voltage. Flatheads don't use boots, as do the later vehicles.

SDExpoman    -- 02-26-2011 @ 10:46 AM
  Supereal,
What I was really trying to figure out is, a means to touch the heads with my hands without getting zapped. Or is it best to just use a hand held digital temp sensor?

41fatty203    -- 02-26-2011 @ 11:08 AM
  Your Heads are wet or dirty with tracer marks/ carbon buildup perhaps?

41fatty203    -- 02-26-2011 @ 11:12 AM
  Check engine ground to frame.

supereal    -- 02-26-2011 @ 1:42 PM
  The best way to determine the temperature is with an infrared temperature gun. Decent types are now available for well under a hundred dollars. The only drawback is that the type of surface being tested has a marked effect on the reading. Any shiny surface will deflect IR, so dull finishes, the darker the better, are best. To do shiny finishes, a piece of black tape will help as the target. Testing the heads with an IR gun will reveal considerable differences over the face, as the coolant flow is uneven, at best. We use our IR gun to check to see if a thermostat is faulty, or if any part the radiator is plugged, and to get an idea if any severe restrictions are present in the exhaust system. If you are just going to hold a thermometer against the head surface, a pair of long cuffed rubber gloves will protect you.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-26-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  I usually grab the top hoses and look at the temp gauge when checking the temp of the engine.,
but just touching the head you should not get shocked,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,

shogun1940    -- 02-26-2011 @ 6:29 PM
  if you want to check for leaking wires, put a big blanket over a running engine at night and let your eyes get adjusted to the darkness, if anything is leaking juice you will see a blue glow, watch out for the fan, I have had brand new wires leak .

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-28-2011 @ 11:14 AM
  HOW. does the engine run, even ,or rough,?
if you want to check the ignition wires, use a old windex sprayer and water, spray a mist over the wires,do this in a dark place, you will see the problem if the wires are at fault,they will start to arc, and make the engine run rough,maybe even stalling it out,
also how was the rotor and dist caps,make sure the wires are all the way in the recesses,
the ignition wire should be good, but testing them before the season is a good idea, they are a pain to change, thats why you have to go the extra $ to get the best, so you only have to do it once,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2661