Topic: battery charge 6volt

46fordnut    -- 02-23-2011 @ 8:06 AM
  i have a 6 volt battery iv'e charged it for sometime now. is 6.31 full charge? fork lift battery is 6 volt car. i also wanted to know if you need t have a resitor. it's 1946 for for the coil . car seem to run fine does not burn any points or coils. 1946 ford flat 8.

4dFordSC    -- 02-23-2011 @ 8:31 AM
  I have a 6v Optima that always stays around 6.25.

46fordnut    -- 02-23-2011 @ 9:25 AM
  ok so best guess would be full charge

35 Coupe    -- 02-23-2011 @ 10:05 AM
  Yes you do need a resistor. It will run fine until the points burn up or the coil BLOWS UP as mine did on my 48. The resistor lowers the voltage to around 3.5 to 4 volts. The first signs were systems of vapor lock, and or fuel pump going out. Ran good cold & started acting up when it got warmed up good. The resistor is located on the light circuit breaker & ignition resistor assembly under the dash just under the windshield & directly behind the voltage regulator. It's hard to get to so I mounted my new one on the coil post. Worked great. Previous owner of mine installed new wiring harness & wired around the unit. Hope you read this before bad things happen. Good Luck. 35 Coupe

35 Coupe    -- 02-23-2011 @ 10:08 AM
  Yes you do need a resistor. It will run fine until the points burn up or the coil BLOWS UP as mine did on my 48. The resistor lowers the voltage to around 3.5 to 4 volts. The first signs were systems of vapor lock, and or fuel pump going out. Ran good cold & started acting up when it got warmed up good. The resistor is located on the light circuit breaker & ignition resistor assembly under the dash just under the windshield & directly behind the voltage regulator. It's hard to get to so I mounted my new one on the coil post. Worked great. Previous owner of mine installed new wiring harness & wired around the unit. Hope you read this before bad things happen. Good Luck. 35 Coupe

This message was edited by 35 Coupe on 2-24-11 @ 9:24 PM

supereal    -- 02-23-2011 @ 10:09 AM
  The only meaningful way to check battery voltage with a meter is to discharge the battery enough to dispel the "surface charge". Prefessional testers use a "carbon pile" rheostat for that purpose, while the alternative is to turn on the headlights of the vehicle without the engine running for a few minutes, then turn them off and check the voltage. Any reading that is less than about 6.5 volts indicates that the battery probably is showing evidence of sulfation, a process that gradually affects all common lead-acid types.

35 Coupe    -- 02-23-2011 @ 10:18 AM
  Hello again, If it's not a sealed battery use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of each cell. This will tell you the condition & state of charge. Charge battery before checking. A bad battery can still read good voltage. Good luck again, 35 Coupe

35 Coupe    -- 02-23-2011 @ 10:23 AM
  Opps, I think the optima is a sealed batt. supereal is right. Listen to him, Sorry. 35 Coupe

46fordnut    -- 02-23-2011 @ 11:20 AM
  just goes were the one wire would be on the coil and thats it?

35 Coupe    -- 02-23-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  Yes, Remove the wire that goes to your ignition. connect one end of the resistor to the coil terminal & the wire you removed to the other terminal on the resistor. There is no + or - to the resistor so you can't get it backwards. Just make sure you remove the wire going to ignition & not to the dist. This does make me wonder, Is yours wired around the original resistor? If the original was burned out the engine would not run at all. Good luck. When my coil blew it really messed up my friends shirt & my paint job.

46fordnut    -- 02-23-2011 @ 1:10 PM
  the piece we are talking about would that not be on the board under the dash for my 1946? i do see one under there.. the one on the coil would be for the car before my year? i have a friend with a 41 woody . his has one on the coil and not on the board.

35 Coupe    -- 02-23-2011 @ 2:03 PM
  Its under the dash on drivers side. The voltage regulator is on the other side of the firewall Engine side. In the attached picture It's the 4th one down on the left, The large unit on that board is your lighting circuit breaker & the small unit is your ignition resistor. Just like the one at the top of the page for 6.95, for 1932-48 Fords. Now with that said, If you have a wire hooked to each end of the resistor & the car runs then you already have one & not to wory. However if there are no wires hooked to the resistor or it has a jumper wire across it then you need one. Could be someone put one on your friends coil like I did, easier than crawling under the dash. If you still have questions feel free to E-Mail me your phone # to usafgrad@cox & I will call you. I don't mind helping if ˆcan. After all, We gotta keep em going. Ed

35 Coupe    -- 02-23-2011 @ 2:06 PM
  Made a mistake on the E-Mail, usafgrad@cox.net

TomO    -- 02-24-2011 @ 8:09 AM
  If you are using a stock Ford coil you need a resister. If you have a round after market coil, the resister may or may not be built in. You will have to check the specs of the round coil with the vendor that sold it to you.

Tom

46fordnut    -- 02-24-2011 @ 5:23 PM
  stock coil . resistor under dash is wired correct.

35 Coupe    -- 02-24-2011 @ 9:21 PM
  Great, Then you are OK. Only need one resistor in circuit.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2647