Topic: How to replace lead washer on gas tank neck

MOXIE    -- 02-22-2011 @ 1:58 PM
  Well, I thought I had this 36 going till I saw some drops of gas behind the left wheel. After looking closely I found that the leak is leaking at the junction where the gas filler neck goes into the tank. I believe there is a lead washer that goes there. Could someone who has replaced one tell me how to do it. It looks like the fender will have to come off but not sure how the neck and washer fit into the tank. Does it snap in or?

Kens 36    -- 02-22-2011 @ 2:27 PM
  Moxie,

No need to remove the fender. Ford’s fuel tanks through early ’37 used a threaded filler tube with a lead seal between the tank and the flange on the tube. The lead seal is available from the typical parts suppliers for about $8. You need a special spanner wrench to remove the filler pipe. I bought one from Sears for $15. (Armstrong model 34-219).

You should spray penetrating oil on the threads where the filler tube enters the fuel tank. The pin on the spanner wrench is inserted in the holes on the filler tube, which is then just scr*w*d off. The entire assembly is then removed through the filler hole in the fender. Clean up all surfaces, insert the new lead seal into the opening in the fuel tank, and screw the filler pipe back in, tightening it securely with the spanner wrench.

Some folks say they have had better luck with a large o-ring instead of the lead seal. If you go that route, make sure your o-ring is impervious to ethanal fuels.

Ken

JM    -- 02-25-2011 @ 7:59 AM
  I agree with everything Ken said. However, before you replace the lead seal/gasket, try tightening the threaded sleeve first with a spanner wrench and see if that stops the leak. Maybe that is all you need to do to reseal the neck. I'm ususally not that lucky but you may be. I would order a new seal and have it ready in either case.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 2-25-11 @ 8:00 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2645