Topic: Welting

Cecil/WV    -- 02-22-2011 @ 7:14 AM
  On a '40 Ford pickup,does fender welting go between the fenders and the running boards where they bolt together or does the running boards bolt directly to the fender?? Which way is correct?? Where the fender fastens to the cowl, which way does the welting turn under?? Grille??
Thanks!

Cecil

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

kubes40    -- 02-22-2011 @ 10:53 AM
  NO welting between the boards and fenders. It's just as you suspected... the boards bolt directly to the sheet metal.
As far as turning the welting under in places it terminates, just do it neatly. On the top, Ford attempted to turn it under to give it a bit of a finished look. Not much time / effort was spent on this.
At the bottom, it was supposed to have been turned under but in reality there were oft times it was simply cut off.
So, do it neatly and you'll be fine
Respectfully,
Mike Kubarth

Cecil/WV    -- 02-22-2011 @ 11:26 AM
  Thanks, Kube, that's about what I was thinking.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

supereal    -- 02-22-2011 @ 11:32 AM
  It is interesting that the Ford term for welting is "anti squeak", meant to be placed between metal panels to prevent that problem. To smoothly install welting, we attach cloth strips to the "web" of the welting in several places. These strips hang down below the joint, and permit pulling the welt into place while the fender, etc, is drawn down. Trying to push the welt into place usually results in uneven results, but pulling it, instead, does the trick.

Cecil/WV    -- 02-22-2011 @ 2:35 PM
  It would seem that if it is an anti squeak, it would be between the running boards and the fender. I have pictures of a '40 that I think now belongs to Bob Moon in Tn that got a Dearborn at a few Eastern meets and has the welting on the running boards, but all I saw in St George did not have it, that's why I asked the question. I put it on my '40, but it doesn't look good.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

kubes40    -- 02-22-2011 @ 3:16 PM
  Hey Super... good trick with the welting installation! You are getting to know me so I'd thought I'd share the fact that I cut the little grooves and holes in the welting just like Henry did. yes, as you suspected I am THAT obsessive.
Once again Cecil, no need for 'anti-squeak' between rubber and steel.
And... beware just because a car got awarded a trophy at a national meet doesn't mean all is correct.

supereal    -- 02-22-2011 @ 3:45 PM
  Mike: I know you are a perfectionist, and that is greatly admired. Craftsmanship should always be appreciated. I am more of what my dad called a "piddler". Most of my advice is directed toward the average old car enthusiast. None of my cars deserve to be on the concourse, but I love 'em, all the same.

kubes40    -- 02-22-2011 @ 5:48 PM
  Perfectionist? AKA: Obsessive / compulsive

Super, I am dead serious when I tell you I'd love to be able to hang around your shop. just from what I've learned from you on this forum, I can only imagine what I might learn being able to observe first hand.
Maybe you should move closer to me
Respectfully,
Mike

ford38v8    -- 02-22-2011 @ 9:18 PM
  Mike, wait till the spring floods, Bob may just float on down river.

Alan

Cecil/WV    -- 02-23-2011 @ 5:05 AM
  Kube, My truck will never be judged as it is too far from original, ie. 59 AB engine, tinted glass, glass rear fenders, etc., but I have strived to make it as correct as possible, given the circumstances. I am taking it to Saratoga Springs and putting it in touring class. Thanks for the input.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

kubes40    -- 02-23-2011 @ 6:43 AM
  Hi Cecil,
Maybe I'll see you there (NY)? I plan on bringing a '39 wagon. I PRAY I'll be done with it by then
Those that know me, realize I offer my advice (for what it's worth) from my perspective. Well, as we all do I suppose. My perspective is from a purely authentic and 'perfectionist' viewpoint. I say take what you want from my advice (and others of course) and tailor it to suit your desires.
Mike

supereal    -- 02-23-2011 @ 10:16 AM
  You rascals! I keep my head and ego from enlarging when I see my sons go about the regular, but intricate, jobs in our shop. Even the most fundamental "economy" cars demand exotic (and expensive) equipment to diagnose common problems. Now, if they only made "Mystery Oil" for my memory!

TomO    -- 02-24-2011 @ 9:03 AM
  They do make it, it's called Jack Daniels. It won't make your memory better, but you won't care.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-24-2011 @ 10:12 AM
  Tom: At my age, if they ever stop making J. Daniel's and Tylenol, I'll be done for!

MG    -- 02-24-2011 @ 1:01 PM
  TomO,

That's 'Doctor' Jack Daniels - World Famous Liver Doctor.....

TomO    -- 02-25-2011 @ 8:05 AM
  JD not only helps my memory, it lubricates my joints. Too much Tylenol interferes with the pleasure of JD.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2642