Topic: 1940 ford station wagon

BRL3240    -- 02-21-2011 @ 1:49 PM
  I have a 1940 station wagon, original car. Bought it in 2005. Sat in a garage from 1971 to 2005. The wood is very solid and no decay at all.

The issue I have is what steps I should take on restoring the finish on the wood. I understand that these bodies and wood boats were finished in very similar ways, so I know I can also consult antique wood boat restorers. I don't want to just dive in and start sanding away because obviously I'd need to re-stain and have the correct color for that. I know this forum isn't the best place for a discussion on wood restoration, but I know there are many woody owners in the EFV8 club, so someone might have had the same problem I have.

Brad Lowery

trjford8    -- 02-21-2011 @ 2:06 PM
  Brad, if yhou are a club member you might contact Mike Nickels in Michigan. He is the woody advisor for the club.He can be reached at; mikenickelswoodies@hughes.net.

42wagon    -- 02-21-2011 @ 4:01 PM
  Brad
Welcome to the world of wood refinishing. I have heard it said that a station wagon is nothing more than a boat out of water and upside down. I have a 42 wagon that I just completed refinishing the wood. This required stripping the varnish, bleaching the weathered areas, and putting on four or five coats of a good UV protected marine spar varnish. No staining was necessary as Ford didn't stain the wood in the first place.

That said I think you will find that the wood was natural and not stained. If the finish is weathered but the wood has not deteriorated you are in luck. What you will need to consider is what type of paint strippers will be needed to remove the varnish. Sanding to remove the varnish is a last resort as it will reduce the size of the members and you may sand through the the veneer on the the panels.

The best book on the subject that I have found is Brightwork, The Art of Finishing Wood by Rebecca J. Wittman. Try Amazon or www.AbeBooks.com It's all about reinishing boats but there isn't much difference between a boat and a station wagon.

Good luck an original station wagon is a rare treasure.
Ted

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-21-2011 @ 4:15 PM
  I think maybe you should do a little reserch on wood refinnishing, to start with,
also becareful if you are if you use any varnish removers,
and take your time, its not a job for beginners.
try working with something that does not mean anything to you , try restoring a piece of wood, like a old chair, or table,
hope this helps, 37 RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 02-21-2011 @ 4:20 PM
  Brad:

I'd also suggest a membership in the National Woodie Club, as their archives and forum are similar to ours, and are of course wood restoration specific. Having said that, if your wood is sound, the safest way is to remove the existing varnish after you have taken the doors and tailgate off, and unscr*w*d any removable panels. There are two methods"

The "old fashioned way" is to carefully use a paint scr*per, being careful to not gouge or dig into the wood; followed by sanding with increasingly fine sandpaper to provide a "smooth-as-a-schoolmarms leg" (now I'm sure that's not PC, but it was dad's term)surface.

Any "grey areas" can be carefully treated with 2-part wood bleach.

The "modern way" is to use commercial strippers, but these can often discolor the wood, requiring
more bleach use.

There are several good sources for replacement wood parts, but old woodies should have a degree of "patina" that only original wood can provide. I'm sure our other woodie owners will chime in, as
we have quite a few in our organization. "Alanwoodieman" has brought a totally defunct 40 back to
show condition, and I have worked on 3-38 Ford woodies throughout the last 50+ years.

Whatever you do, do not succumb to the temptation to use anything other than the finest marine spar varnish when you refinish. As you say, the wooden boats had the same maintenance issues, but
sometimes their products end up a little on the "dark amber" side when applied to your maple sticks. Forties were available with birch/maple light-colored plywood panels or mahogany/gumwood
dark panels. They were all manufactured at Iron Mountain.

My last suggestion would be to purchase a copy of Loren Sorenson's wonderful book- "Famous Ford Woodies", as it contains much useful background/historical information for the Ford Woodie restorer.

Please keep in touch, as we "Wood is Good" folk are unique.

wrosenkrans    -- 02-21-2011 @ 7:20 PM
  I'll second the recommendation to join the National Woodie Club. We have a 1931 Model A Station Wagon and the club has proven very useful. There's also a Model A special interest group for the wagons which I'm certain there is a V8 counterpart for. We're not facing a refinish job in the near future, but I'm gathering information for when that day comes.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

37 Coupe    -- 02-22-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  You could follow the steps for repair and preservation as Ford provided in Form 3674. Probably would be the same process but mayby better Spar varnish available now.

Stroker    -- 02-22-2011 @ 3:44 PM
  Todays quality marine spar varnish's are undoubtedly superior in UV resistance amd longevity to the original factory product. In addition, most of us will apply 4-5 coats of very clear (un-tinted) varnish, with a wet sanding between coats. Annual refinishing is not something any Woodie owner wants to do, but then again, we don't let our cars sit outdoors 24-7 all year. The next to last item (3) on wood filler should be avoided, as it while it might have been a quick fix at the Ford dealership when the car was new enough to not have substantial value, it will create a future problem not unlike "bondo" to the next caretaker of your woodie.

Some prefer brushing, some spraying. I've used both methods, and I actually prefer a quality boar-bristle dedicated varnish brush w/un-thinned varnish in a darkened room with a shop light in one had to avoid "holidays". I believe that varnish was not meant to be thinned, and that it loses some of its' gloss and durability when you thin it enough to spray. Others will disagree.

Stroker    -- 02-22-2011 @ 4:55 PM
  BRL3240:

Attached is an article I find authoritative.

42wagon    -- 02-23-2011 @ 3:44 AM
  Stroker
I would add several things to your advice.

First, in so far as possible lay the parts to be varnished down flat. This will minimize the runs or sags that will occur even with unthinned varnish right out of the can.

Two, get a supply of disposable paint cups and only pour out the amount of varnish you need for the part at hand. This keeps your varnish in the can from getting contaminated with dust particles, etc.

Three, buy your varnish in quart cans to eliminate having your whole batch of varnish start to cure in the can.

Four, The pros advocate using disposable foam brushes and I agree. Even the my best badger brush will loose bristles that I don't want to see in the surface of the varnish. So I've been using the foam brushes and they really work great.
Ted

BRL3240    -- 02-23-2011 @ 7:04 AM
  Thank you every one, I appreciate the great advice. I am a very young club member and do not want anything to go wrong with this wagon. I am only 24, so I get strange looks or questions when I tell people I like 71 year old cars. Here is a photo of the wagon, you can see the wood is very solid, so i think just a scr*pe and maybe a bit a bleach will bring her back.

BRL3240    -- 02-23-2011 @ 7:07 AM
  another photo of the outside.

wrosenkrans    -- 02-23-2011 @ 7:20 AM
  On an antique woodie today, garaged when not in use, driven modestly (pleasure drives, occasional parade or show) and rarely in the rain - when should you consider doing a refinish? Signs to watch for? or every X years?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

Stroker    -- 02-23-2011 @ 8:28 AM
  BRL: That's a wonderful example of a possible Rouge contender. Tell us more about the rest of the car. Has it been restored in the past? All original? etc. You are wise to learn all you can, take it slow, and take lots of photo's to document any disassembly. If the car is all original, think twice before doing a "frame off" total restoration.

Wayne & "Albia" Barb: You'll know it needs attention when you notice the varnish becoming
opaque in spots. Direct sunlight ultimately kills all varnish. When it starts to degrade, it turns milky, followed by cracking or blistering. Any cracks in the varnish will let in moisture, which will quickly darken the wood. Early sign of UV damage is simply a dulling of the surface. If you catch it at this point, a simple wet sand/re-application of another coat will extend it's life. I wouldn't use furniture polish or wax on the wood, as it complicates a re-coat. Others do, and perhaps I could learn from them.

Done right, with todays materials, a varnish job should last 10-20 years or more on woodie that is not left outside, and only driven in decent weather. The old-time varnishes would gradually darken with age. Today's materials are very resistant to "yellowing".

deuce_roadster    -- 02-23-2011 @ 8:54 AM
  You might like reading Rick Mack's info on varnish. He makes wood for 49-53 woodies but the varnish info is universal. Here is a link :
http://www.rickmack.com/faq.htm
I too have a 40 deluxe wagon that after many years am now to the varnish stage (I have replaced all the wood). I have chosen "captain's" Spar Varnish. These modern spar varnishes dry hard enough that you can wet sand and rub them out like urethane paint. The suggestion that you buy your varnish in quarts is a good one, it doesn't add much to the price.
Being new to the old car and woodie scene you might not know that the body number for your car is under the voltage regulator stamped in the firewall. This will give you an idea where in the production line it was assembled. The late wonderful author Lorin Sorenson had the 40 wagon that had the last published body number which was 11 thousand something.
It looks like your car has been repainted a blue color but you are a lucky guy to have a complete car. I searched for 25 years for a good tailgate handle and rear bumper. Good luck and you are wise to elicit opinions and help.

Stroker    -- 02-23-2011 @ 11:59 AM
  3240: In case you ever get discouraged, here's a "before" photo from one of our V8 & NWC members who has one of the nicest 40 wagons around. As you can see, you have a much better starting point.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2637