Topic: Stromberg emulsion tubes

35ragtop    -- 02-21-2011 @ 1:34 PM
  I am replacing the emulsion tubes on my 97 stromberg and wondering if there is a trick to ensuring they end up with the raked ends being plumb in the carb throat. I assume that they have to be in the exact position for the ventury action to work correctly.
They tend to want to rotate as you tap them in, any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

supereal    -- 02-21-2011 @ 1:55 PM
  There was a special KRW tool for the insertion of the main discharge nozzle, which I assume is the part you are referring to. I have scanned an illustration of the position and the tool. The tube is held in place by the main metering jet, and can be difficult to remove and replace. Jet wrenches are still available,but I haven't seen a VZ-190 for a very long time.

40 Coupe    -- 02-22-2011 @ 5:59 AM
  The bottom sides of the tubes have flats that match flats in the carb body, so they are keyed in place. They can be inserted 180 degrees out of position IF you line up the top of the tube, as desired before inserting, they will be correct. Do NOT use the main jet to seat the tubes. If you removed them by tapping the end for a screw, then reinsert the long screw and tap gently on the end of the screw until seated. A little bit of spray lube helps reduce the pressure needed to insert. Then install the main jets and do not over tighten.

35ragtop    -- 02-23-2011 @ 12:04 PM
  Thank you guys,
I was a little worried about the thread in the end of the tube if it would effect fuel flow. But after looking at supereal s picture of the original tool, the fine thread would not appear to be a problem. Vintage Speed supplied an extraction kit which threads the end, I used the same device to align and insert the new tubes.
I did notice the squared end but it allowed the tube to rotate off centre a little hence my concerns. All back together now , not quite ready for the first fire up in over 30 years.
Dave

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2636