Topic: 1940 Convertible B Pillers

dominguezde    -- 02-21-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  On a '40 Convertible. Is there a rod or bar that attaches to the flanges that extrude inward from the bottom of the B piller or does the rear seat attach somehow to those flanges?

What is the best way to push the B pillers outward and solidify for proper door closing?

Pics please will be appreciated.
Dennis

supereal    -- 02-21-2011 @ 1:39 PM
  Getting the doors to fit on a convertible takes much trial and error. I haven't been able to locate a layout of the '40, but my '47 has heavy cast brackets just behind the doors that supply support, while the cowl has a bracket and adjuster on each side under the body about in line with the dash. The cowl is adjusted up or down to align the door horizontally, then the back bracket is adjusted, or shimmed, to provide the correct position of the strike and latch. Convertibles are surprisingly flexible, and mine also required making new mounting blocks for the space between the body and the frame to finish the fit. Each change in the attitude of one part affects most of the others. All must be done with the car sitting on a very level floor, and with any play in the door hinges removed. Body adjustment is best done before the top in installed as it, too, will affect the door position, particularly if the top closing is very tight. Anyone planning to restore an open car is best advised not to disturb the body mounting if the doors fit well.

kubes40    -- 02-21-2011 @ 2:11 PM
  Super, I agree with most of your advice. I do however feel strongly that the top should be installed before final body alignment is achieved as for the very reasons you stated - the top will effect the fit of the doors. I suggest getting the alignment close, putting the top on with the full expectation you WILL need to re-shim the body.
You are correct in that the '40 is VERY similar to your '47 at the A and B pillars.
I have to ask, how can a person restore a car without removing the body from the frame???

supereal    -- 02-21-2011 @ 2:56 PM
  Mike: A very good friend, in fact a former owner of my convertible, bought and restored a '48 (mine is a '47) and had the top professionally installed, as did I. His top was so tight, that the doors dragged with the top secured with the header clamps, and the passenger side wouldn't open at all. Getting the top tensioned to present a smooth appearance, yet permit securing it in the closed position requires lots of experience, certainly more than I have. I've never done a complete "frame off" restoration, certainly not of the quality I know you produce, but unless an open car is thoroughly braced before the body is lifted from the frame, the process of returning it to alignment becomes very complicated. I've tried it both ways, and putting the top on after the body is shimmed worked best for me, as the top, once in place, really can't be adjusted.

kubes40    -- 02-21-2011 @ 3:13 PM
  Super, You are 100% on the money! The first convertible I'd done I'd learned the hard way that the door alignment will change with a new top. Learning that I install the top after the initial alignment has been completed KNOWING I'll need to re-align things after the top has been in place a while.
I have jigs made that I install within the convertibles when removing the body from the frame. I've seen guys do it without semi-permanent bracing and the results have not been good.
I sure wished I lived near you... the things I could learn...
Respectfully,
Mike

supereal    -- 02-22-2011 @ 11:46 AM
  Mike: No one lives long enough to make all the mistakes! I received a real education when I tackled my convertible. One of my lifelong friends is an auto trimmer with national awards. I watched him put on my top and was very glad I hadn't tried it. Many don't realize that the new top must be trimmed to fit, then tacked down, and the snaps installed. This was the same shop that steamed the covers for my seats so they would slide over the new padding without tearing. I'm sure you will agree that anyone who makes a hard job look easy made plenty of mistakes along the way.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2634