Topic: Barrs Stop Leak

MOXIE    -- 11-06-2009 @ 10:52 AM
  Does barrs leak effect (hurt) the cooling of an engine.

supereal    -- 11-06-2009 @ 11:53 AM
  If used according to the directons, it shouldn't affect cooling. We use it with every rebuild. Just be sure your radiator isn't partially plugged before you use it.

51f1    -- 11-06-2009 @ 3:14 PM
  Why would you use it w/every rebuild?

Richard

GM    -- 11-06-2009 @ 5:22 PM
  Most old Fords have a small water leak and the Barr's in most cases seals them. Barr's won't effect the cooling and is also a water pump lubricant. I have 3 or 4 bottles in some engines over a long period of time and they run at 165 when it's over 90 out. If I see water out the exhaust in go's a bottle of Barr's. G.M.

trjford8    -- 11-06-2009 @ 7:58 PM
  Not only would you use it on a flathead, but it sometimes needs to be used on late model rebuilds to seal a "weeping" soft plug.

supereal    -- 11-07-2009 @ 7:45 AM
  We use it for the reasons set out above. Old cast iron is very difficult to surface perfectly, and the Barr's is sort of an "insurance". When we used to install Ford "authorized" rebuilt engines, they always came with a bottle of Barr's to be added when the job was complete.

51f1    -- 11-08-2009 @ 1:16 PM
  Does this apply to the last iteration of the flathead? I have a '51, and I have never had any leaks.

Richard

V8 Doc    -- 11-08-2009 @ 4:25 PM
  On my '37 Ford rebuilt engine, both water pumps have a very slow leak from behind the pulleys. Was told that the carbon seals might settle and seal these leaks, but have no idea how long to give it a chance and only the chassis and drive train are finished with the car on blocks. I'm wondering if the Barrs stuff would work here?

Midnight Man    -- 11-11-2009 @ 3:48 PM
  Just what is barrs stop leak, and where can I get some?

supereal    -- 11-12-2009 @ 8:30 AM
  Most good parts places have Barr's. In reality, almost all engines have minor leaks somewhere, often internally, where they can't be readily seen. Barr's isn't designed to address water pump leakage. There is always a bit of seepage in pumps as the coolant also functions as a seal lubricant. The carbon seals were superseded by a ceramic type in the later (8BA) pumps. Once they start to leak badly, only replacement or rebuilding will fix the problem, as the mating surface in the pump is likely worn, or the seal spring has weakened. Sometimes working the pulleys back and forth with help, but probably only tempoarily.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=263