Topic: HELP Removing 1936 Grille

ctfordguy    -- 02-20-2011 @ 4:02 PM
  Hi,
Sorry, I have posted on this subject before. I thought it would be easy but I'm having a real tough time removing my 1936 Radiator Grille for plating without first removing the Radiator. Can the Grille come off without taking out the Radiator first? I have the hood off but cannot even get a 1/2 in wrench on the bolts on the sides from down in front of the Radiator. There is no room for the open end wrench to get on the bolt head. I could never reach the bottom bolts from above. How do I do it?
Help
Thanks,
Bruce/CT

trjford8    -- 02-21-2011 @ 2:23 PM
  Bruce, you need to use a thin wall socket and remove the bolts from the fender side of the grille. You may need a second person to hold a wrench on the nuts inside the grille. Another option is the unbolt the inner fender panels and pull the grille off with them attached. Once you have the unit out it is easier to remove the grill from the inner panels.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-21-2011 @ 4:08 PM
  did you try swivel head 6 point sockets and any extensions, only use 6 point wrenches,this helps from rounding the heads of nuts and bolt heads,and use plenty of rust buster,
hope this helps, 37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

ctfordguy    -- 02-22-2011 @ 8:05 AM
  Thanks for the help. I will try after my weeks business trip. Will post success/failure.
bruce/CT

dicker    -- 04-03-2011 @ 4:48 PM
  I wish you luck and lots of patience with removing the 36 grill. I did it many years ago to get it replated. Then, the fun is getting it back in again and making all the holes line up. I still have empty bolt holes!!

ole_Bill    -- 04-04-2011 @ 12:16 PM
  I agree with the comment above. If you think getting the grill off is fun, wait 'til you try to bolt it back up. Don't make the mistake I did and try to use the hood ornament to pull the grill up and into place. I'm out $100 to replace the ornament. I found the best solution is to use an undersize bolt. I replaced the 3/8" bolts in some places with a 5/16 because it was impossible to get the original back in the hole. I even have a 1/4" bolt in one hole. It's secure and for the most part you can't see the difference. BTW, I know this solution will upset some, but my car is nor original and is not meant to be a restored show car.

dicker    -- 04-04-2011 @ 6:16 PM
  Ditto the above re the bolt sizes and not a restoration. But my 36 4door convertible is a great driver and the modern overdrive unit makes it just fine---except for the long uphill climbs!!

ctfordguy    -- 04-04-2011 @ 7:45 PM
  THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP...THE GRILLE IS OUT
Hi Guys,
It's out but it put up one h*ll of a fight. Couldn't get many of the bolts out and had to cut them with a die grinder. Decided that if I was going to have any chance of getting the same size bolts back in, I would have to do something. I ground some of the fins down on the backside so I could now get an open wrench onto the bolt heads. Now I have to decide on plater. I have it crated and am waiting to hear more good/bad on Dans Polishing in Adamsville, Tennessee
Thanks again,
Bruce/CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2629