Topic: Shock absorbers

Dustbowl    -- 02-19-2011 @ 1:08 PM
  The front shocks on my 36 Ford Cabriolet are bad. One choice is to remove them and have them rebuilt.

An alternative - cheaper- is to buy a set of tube shocks and adapters from C&G Ford. My Ford is not a show car, although it is 95% authentic.

Does anyone have experience with this tube shock conversion? Is it easy to install? Does it work well?
Thanks Phillip

supereal    -- 02-19-2011 @ 2:54 PM
  In my opinion, they work much better than the lever shocks, which often are weak or non-effective. Installation is fairly straight forward, but does take some time. Shocks are often a neglected part of old cars, and if you are not building a "correct" car for judging, tubular shocks are a better system for most cars. Good kits have shocks that are calibrated and sized for the application. This is important to preserve ride and handling.

trjford8    -- 02-19-2011 @ 5:33 PM
  I'll vote for the tube shocks also. If you have a driver car and are not concerned with 100% originality, the tube shocks are the best bet. It's a fairly straight forward installation.The toughest part will be getting the original shock links out of the tapered holes in the axle pins.

flatheadfan    -- 02-20-2011 @ 1:16 AM
  Dustbowl-

I agree with the others when it comes to original shocks. They are pricey to rebuild and really don't do the job even when they are in excellent condition. I have used tube shocks in the past and they are an improvement. Some kits require welding to install and some experimentation with shock type and angle placement.

However, in my opinion, Lovejoy shocks are the best route to go. They are strictly a bolt-on, with nothing to weld or alter. They are truly "bullet-proof." The best testimony of the effectiveness of these shocks is they were the "shock of choice" for the moonshiners of the back-hill country when having to deal with those "pesky" Federal agents! I have them on my '35 and they turn the car into a very comfortable ride. PM me for additional information.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 02-20-2011 @ 1:18 AM
  Rear view of Lovejoy shock on my '35.

Tom

oldford2    -- 02-20-2011 @ 8:38 AM
  Are Lovejoy shocks still available for Fords??

flatheadfan    -- 02-20-2011 @ 10:20 AM
  oldford2-

To the best of my knowledge, Delco stop making Lovejoy shocks, in the early '60s. On occasion, you may stumble upon a NOS set, they are still out there. Ebay is a good place to watch but be sure anything you look at has the Ford adapter plates with the shocks. You definitely will need the plates. Also, don't avoid a good used set. As I mentioned before these things are vertually indestructible and good used ones will last and last. If you can't come up with anything local, send me a private message. I might be able to help.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2625