Topic: Good Restorer

Roger D.    -- 02-18-2011 @ 7:38 PM
  Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I am looking for a good restorer for my 39 Tudor Sedan. I have owned this car since I was twelve and it has followed me all my life. I am retired now and have the finantial means to get the old boy restored. It was my uncles car and he was killed in an accident in 1956, the car was last driven in 57.
Anyway I would like to get it restored to original condition and I am looking for a restorer here in Michigan, so if someone would refer me to a good resorer, I would be grateful. sorry to be so long winded, but I am excited to finally get this project started.

39 Ken    -- 02-19-2011 @ 3:25 AM
  Roger, Welcome! Any pictures of your car? If it is a good original car, why not consider getting it in shape to run safely and drive it. As Alan will no doubt tell you, an original car can serve as a bench mark for others to restore their cars. Regardless of what you do, ask your questions here as there are many good folks who are willing to share their expertise and knowledge with you. Ken

kubes40    -- 02-19-2011 @ 5:59 AM
  Roger, Please email me direct at kubes40@att.net so we may discuss this...
Mike Kubarth

Roger D.    -- 02-19-2011 @ 6:33 AM
  The car is original and I do want to keep it that way and drive it.
I seem to see a lot of 40 fords around in original condition but for some reason not many 39's.
I do not have any photo's but as soon as the weather breaks here, I will get the car out and take come pictures.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-19-2011 @ 7:05 AM
  Roger, you could have a wealth of information contained in that time capsule. Please before you take on a full restoration consider what you may have. As far as you know was the car ever wrecked? was it stored in a dry place? and there are lots of other questions to be asked. I had the oportunity to do this with several old cars and did not and now wish I had. My first old Ford was a 39 Tudor and then I got into 40's and yes there seems to be more 40's than 39's. Wish I lived closer I would like to see the car. Good Luck

TomO    -- 02-19-2011 @ 9:52 AM
  Roger, if you are not already a member of The Early Ford V-8 Club of America, I suggest that you join the Club and a Regional Group near you before you make any commitments about restoring the car.

This way you will gain some knowledge of what it takes to keep a car original while you enjoy driving it or what it takes to restore the car back to original specifications. This knowledge will help you pick a restorer and work with him.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-19-2011 @ 3:32 PM
  It is important to remember that "a car is only ORIGINAL once"! We are losing such examples, and I hope you will have some trained eyes look at your car before any "restoration" is begun.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-19-2011 @ 4:09 PM
  were do you live,might help in findings a reliable restoration shop,
did you try WW MOTOR CARS in BROADWAY VA,
JACK WENGER restored RICHARD 43 PETTY'S father's PONITAC STATION WAGEN, for HERSHEY a few years ago,
just a suggestion, 37RAGTOPMAN,
he has a whole crew to do the job , has many references,

Pauls39    -- 02-19-2011 @ 6:32 PM
  Try Bob Ansalone in Manchester. Very good work but don't expect it to be cheap.

Roger D.    -- 02-19-2011 @ 7:59 PM
  This car has been with me since I was twelve years old. I am now fifty seven. It was stored outside for four or five years and has been inside ever since. It did have a fender bender done by my aunt in 1957, wrinkled the left front fender and pushed in the bumper a little. The car is filled with spare parts including a windshield from I think a 32 ford. My uncle originally owned it and was in the air force stationed in California when he was killed in a car crash in 1956. So I have waited many years to get this car restored.
I will try to get some pictures posted once the weather stabilizes here, I am really sick of snow.
Anyway I apprecate all the replies and will try to keep the forum posted.

Roger D.    -- 02-19-2011 @ 8:04 PM
  I am looking for good and not cheap. I live in Jackson Michigan, If anyone is interested in looking at the 39 they are welcome. It is a cool car and I believe worth
restoration. I figure to have more in it than what it is worth but this is a lifelong dream of mine to get the old girl back in original condition and back on the road.

3w2    -- 02-19-2011 @ 8:58 PM
  Roger,

Re. the Manchester recommendation please check out their references thoroughly. There are dissenting votes.

One of the very best in the business is located in your backyard in Jackson, but he is not taking on new customers. He might be willing to look at your car and give you an honest opinion about what it needs relative to your objective for it.

If you're interested, I'll ask him and you can take it from there.

Dave

carguy    -- 02-20-2011 @ 6:00 AM
  Roger,
We have an automotive restoration shop and although we specialize in restoring 55-57 Thunderbirds we have, over the years, worked on many other cars including early Ford V-8's. We are in Ohio. Please pm me if you want additional information.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

kubes40    -- 02-20-2011 @ 6:21 AM
  Hi Roger,
I've sent you a couple of emails and trust (hope) you've received them.
If not, let me know.
Regards,
Mike Kubarth

kubes40    -- 02-21-2011 @ 5:52 AM
  Hi Roger, I just moments ago sent the two (previously sent) emails to you once again. I had the email address correct and they did not get returned. Might they be in your spam file?
Best regards,
Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2623