Topic: 1939 Deluxe Tudor - Period Correct Battery

MDB    -- 02-18-2011 @ 12:39 PM
  We're in process of restoration to as near original as possible,but probably not concourse. Pleased with 2LF from Antique Auto Battery which has unpainted "Ford" lettering and "Oval". I would like to paint the oval in white and insignia in Ford Blue. Does anyone know whether that would be plus or minus in "judging"? Would unpainted represent advantage? Thanks for any information provided.

nelsb01    -- 02-18-2011 @ 1:01 PM
  While I like your color combinations, I have only seen the raised area (the oval) painted gold, or left natural case color. I do not see any advantage to painting it or just leaving it natural. I know that you can lose points for the 'wrong' battery. You can find out more yourself by printing out the judging forms for your year car off of this website. Go to the HOME page and click on Forms in the left column.

jerry.grayson    -- 02-18-2011 @ 2:23 PM
  I believe that the color for the oval in 39 is gold and the Ford script is "natural" (unpainted case color).
Here is the way I have done it: fill the script with bondo, when dry sand it down to the original level, paint the gold and when the paint is dry, pick out the bondo. Worked for me.

ford38v8    -- 09-21-2011 @ 7:28 PM
  Merle, The correct coloring, as stated above, is gold only, on the oval, with the script unpainted.

The easiest way to paint it is likely also the original method. Think simple when doing a project like this, and you'll do well.

Get a small bottle of model paint (gold), and a small disposable model roller brush. Roll the painted brush on a flat surface to get even paint distribution, then just roll across the oval, using no masking. The result will be perfect, as original.

Alan

37 Coupe    -- 09-22-2011 @ 7:23 AM
  I know this isn't the period correct color but the process may help you. I used a "brayer" from Hobby Lobby,a rubber roller about 1" more or less in diameter, you transfer the paint without it getting in the low points.

dwj39    -- 09-27-2011 @ 6:17 AM
  You will always get great advise on this forum, however, one thing no one has mentioned is that originial OEM script batteries had the script only on one side. The 39 Standard had the script facing outward and was visible. The 39 Deluxe had the script facing toward the fender and therefore was not visable when installed. I believe this was one of the reasons for a battery change in 1940. Refer to pages 4-42 and 8-1 of the 1938-39 Ford Book. You might consider keeping the visible script unpainted as being the most authentic.

kubes40    -- 09-27-2011 @ 8:29 AM
  DWJ39,
Um, not quite DWJ... You are correct in that the script was on one side only. However, if you can't see the Ford script on your battery, then you have an incorrect battery.
The 'standard' model had reverse posts vs. the deluxe model.
The 1940 battery was larger than the '39. Nothing to do with the location of the script as that remained the same as '39.
Antique Battery Company has sent me the incorrect batteries for the last two '39 standards I have restored. They are good about fixing their mistake at their cost but somehow manage to continue to make the same mistake.
And, as long as we kind of strayed from the original post, the reproduction batteries although advertised to be identical to the authentic, are not. The sizes of the repops are off quite a bit. They also send the '39 batteries out with the incorrect cell caps. Again, they fix the problem but continue to make the same mistake...

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-27-11 @ 8:39 AM

kubes40    -- 09-27-2011 @ 8:41 AM
  Here's a picture of a 39 standard...

37 Coupe    -- 09-27-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  I thought I was the only one who had trouble with this same issue from Antique Auto Battery right here in Ohio,at least that is what they told me.A few years ago I ordered a Ford script battery from them with a 6 volt Optima inside and when it came negative post was on the right and positive was on the left to correctly show the Ford script. They insisted this was correct and I had to show them proof from my 37 owners manual picture,so they finally made it work. I told them what was the need of paying extra for a Ford script if it will be hidden against firewall. Even though my 37 is not a Dearborn car especially with the 59AB I wnated it to look good.They told me later they would not correct this again and they could not make individual year batteries or "special order" , I suggested they start moulding script on both sides,still never looked correct to me the fake bars on top Ford script faces to rear but original may have been that way.

kubes40    -- 09-27-2011 @ 9:44 AM
  37coupe, Nope, you are not the only guy to have trouble with them. My friend ordered a battery for his '39 standard last year. After I told him of my experience, he was certain to detail what he needed to the gal at Antique Auto Battery. Still, they got it wrong. They made good with him but it took some insistence.

dwj39    -- 09-27-2011 @ 1:35 PM
  Mike: How do you explain the original Ford assembly line "body drop" photo on page 8-1 of the 38/39 book showing a 39 Deluxe with the battery facing toward the fender.

Stroker    -- 09-27-2011 @ 3:17 PM
  I think that some of our obsession over being "period-correct" is just that. I have never known an original lead-acid automotive battery to last 73 years, and I would hope that no rational person
would either. The same goes for such expendable items such as radiator hoses, tires, belts, bulbs, etc.

Isn't it a bit of a fantasy to insist upon cloning these expendables? I'm as much a fan of not
altering the durable parts in our early Fords as anyone, but to insist upon using fake reproduction
components that are often inferior to the original in all respects except appearance seems a bit
ludicrous.

I'll take a good quality 6 volt battery over someone's "script" any day.

ford38v8    -- 09-28-2011 @ 7:32 AM
  Antique Auto Battery has been sending out the wrong caps for many years. It's never been an issue to most unless working on a deadline, as they hav e al;ways been happy top send the right ones ...and don't bother to send back the wrong ones. It's just their policy to not get involved in anything but making batterys, and Dan, it is a very good battery, better than original. The Optima , of course, is superior in performance but not in the game in aesthetics.

As for explaining the body drop picture, that's an easy one! This is a staged picture for publicity. Notice how it takes three assemblymen plus a foreman to drop the body? They wanted to make sure tat the oval/script was prominant for the picture.

Alan

Stroker    -- 09-28-2011 @ 7:40 AM
  Alan:

I stand humbly corrected.

Dan

kubes40    -- 09-28-2011 @ 9:43 AM
  Hey Alan, You hit the proverbial nail on the head in regard to staged photographs.
During my research for the upcoming '40 book I come upon this type of photo all too often. That is one of the many things that make the research difficult, separating fact form fantasy
Many restorers as you well know use this type of photo to 'prove' something within their restoration perspective. Couple that with sales brochures and yet another 'fantasy' (artist renderings) shows its face.
Respectfully,
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-28-11 @ 12:28 PM

kubes40    -- 09-28-2011 @ 9:49 AM
  Hey Stroker,
You know I am one of your fans and have learned a thing or two (or 100)from you.
I agree with most of what you state in regard to parts that were often replaced.
My problem as many have learned through my public pronouncements is the fact many companies (Drake, Antique Auto Battery, etc.)claim quite 'loudly' that they produce factory authentic reproductions when in fact they do not.
I am strongly convicted to 'truth in advertising'. Something that seems to be open for interpretation amongst many companies. "Truth" is NOT open for interpretation. Either it is or it isn't - period. Mix in the drive for profits and it seems this (truth in advertising) really gets the back seat.
Quite respectfully,
Mike

ford38v8    -- 09-28-2011 @ 1:10 PM
  Mike, Yes, that's something that needs to be clarified more often than not. As accessory brochures and owners manuals need to be ready to put in glove compartments as the new cars go out the door, there are many instances where substitutions were made, such as gear shift knobs and the like. There was also a photo shoot car that apparently had no wiper motor mechanism, the wipers being parked wrong on the windshield (Don't ask me which ones, I'm winging it here).

Truth in advertising. We wonder how so many parts can be wrong. We wonder why we are the first to have a problem. And we wonder if the suppliers think we are stupid. Who was it a couple weeks ago that said "gee, it fits the fiberglass hood perfectly"

Alan

oldford2    -- 09-28-2011 @ 2:46 PM
  Wrong battery caps??? You guys are going off the deep end on this post. John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2618