Topic: ’34 Starter Installation Help

Robert/Texas    -- 02-17-2011 @ 8:54 AM
  The Bendix spring on my ’34 roadster broke. The car has a stock ’36 LB engine except for welded up style exhaust headers for duals. These duals were installed by the previous owner, probably around 20 years ago, and this is my problem.

In order to get the starter off I had to pull off its housing and then pull out the armature with the Bendix assembly. With some help, I replaced the spring, re-assembled the starter and tested it.

Now as expected, I have a clearance issue getting the starter back on. The flange on the header is barely enough in the way to prevent this. I am reluctant to remove the header for fear of breaking any bolts.

Another option would be to remove the bolts on the wishbone socket and lower the rear of the wishbone (about ¾ inch) to where it hits the exhaust pipe. If this does not allow enough clearance, I could remove the exhaust pipe from the header flange allowing more wishbone movement. What needs to be supported and what else do I need to know when lowering the back of the wishbone (at the socket) and reinstalling it?

Any and all help/suggestions are welcome. I’m anxious to get the car back on the road as the weather has been improving.

This message was edited by Robert/Texas on 2-17-11 @ 8:56 AM

rbone    -- 02-17-2011 @ 9:08 AM
  Robert,

The rear wishbone mount should drop with the two castle nuts. It will only drop a few inches by itself. The first time I dropped mine many years ago, I put a jack underneath it only to find out it was not needed. But, if this is your first time taking it lose, go ahead and support it.

Ron

Robert/Texas    -- 02-17-2011 @ 9:52 AM
  Thanks Ron, that was the answer I was hoping for. I've done this before but that was back in the early 50's. Things like this are a lot harder for me now.

Robert

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-17-2011 @ 11:42 AM
  I know its tight,
I put the new headers on my 37, and had to put a dimple in the rs header, for the stud on the starter that the battery cable goes to,so it would clear,used a torch real carefull, and everything worked out ok,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2610