Topic: Mystery Attachment

Dolman    -- 02-16-2011 @ 4:12 PM
  The scoop on top of the oil filler looks like an air intake for a boat engine. Does it serve to vent the crankcase toward the caburetor air intake or just supposed to look impressive? Haven't seen one in any of the flathead pictures I've looked at.

Stroker    -- 02-16-2011 @ 4:33 PM
  To the owner of a 35-36 Ford, the pictured oil breather is the correct one. Yes, it picks up
the blast from the fan, and assists crankcase scavenging. Not a bad idea, I kind of wonder why they dropped it. In the 50's we used to install Fram Positive Crankcase breathers on all our industrial engines. These had a screw-on air filter and a small 6V blower that would apply air pressure to assist in ridding the crankcase, cam gallery, etc. of "noxious" fumes. Of course in the 70's, this became politically incorrect, so we were introduced to the PCV system, allowing our motors to "eat" their own waste products.....progress!

Dolman    -- 02-16-2011 @ 4:58 PM
  Thanks, Stroker. You resolved 2 questions in 1 stroke -pun intended. The engine is in a 34 pickup. I had found the guy that owned it 20+ years ago. He told me he had put a newer engine in it but couldn't remember for sure what year it was but he thought maybe it was a 36. So now if someone asks me what year the engine is, I can answer, "A 193536." For what it's worth, the frame and transmission have the same number.

lightflyer1    -- 02-16-2011 @ 7:36 PM
  I have a 35 with that attachment. I saw somewhere that it takes air in and through the crancase and exits through a small vent near the front of the block where the oil pan meets the block.

40 Coupe    -- 02-17-2011 @ 4:59 AM
  because the breather is 35-6 does not mean the engine is. Note the tall stand the breather is on is 34. you have to do more research to determin the exact engine year.

Dolman    -- 02-17-2011 @ 7:58 AM
  I guess it doesn't really matter what year it is. It starts instantly, runs well, doesn't belch smoke, doesn't drip oil and sounds great. The research I have done tells me there is really no way externally to identify the year of manufacture of the 34-36 engines.
Maybe I missed a source.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-17-2011 @ 11:35 AM
  I like the looks of the scoop, but I use the later oil cap,on my 37 85 hp] to me the scoop directs water , dirt, and anything else that may come its way,
I think that is why they [ FORD BETTER IDEA ? }
changed it a few years later,
imagine going down the road in a rain storm, tell me no water will get inside the engine,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

lightflyer1    -- 02-17-2011 @ 1:02 PM
  Maybe in their day, but how many today actually drive in a rain storm? It does seem to be an easy entrance to the crank case though. I may have to investigate a cap to go on mine for driving days. I already have a paper filter air filter for driving. Oil bath original for showing. What is one cap more.

Dolman    -- 02-17-2011 @ 1:43 PM
  One more thing to worry about. Think I'll take it off and splash water at it and see if any gets through the screen. I would assume that the cap also has a screened opening? The screen in the scoop is fine enough to stop the mosquitos that are profuse in my area. But I'll get a cap anyway because if I drive to Seward as I often do, there is usually a 60% chance of rain.

Stroker    -- 02-17-2011 @ 2:23 PM
  Gee folk, I wouldn't fix what ain't broke. We had 2-35 ton-and-a-half ranch trucks and a 36 lumberyard delivery 1-1/2 t with these, that were used in all kinds of weather and I don't ever recall draining the oil and finding evidence of water. I wouldn't powerwash the engine without capping the filler/breather tube, but I don't believe you will have a problem driving in a little rain. The fan blast gets pretty much deflected by the generator and carb base. I'd be more concerned about water getting into the generator or making your horns sound funny. If you insisted on driving in a deluge, you can always put it on backward.

Dolman    -- 02-17-2011 @ 5:55 PM
  Good idea. I'll turn it around backwards and then it will look like it's from the "Hood".

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-19-2011 @ 4:25 PM
  about driving in the rain,
back in 1981 I drove from NEW JERSEY, to KENT STATE UN,OHIO, though PA, and it rained most of the time,[ REAL HARD,!!
maybe no water entered the scoop, but looking back,maybe it did, my question , why did FORD update that breather to the NEW STYLE,if the old one was so good? 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,

Dolman    -- 02-19-2011 @ 5:28 PM
  Thanks for the photo. Beautiful car!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2607