Topic: Adjusting the hood on my 41 pickup

41pickupguy    -- 02-11-2011 @ 6:56 PM
  After a 9 year frame off retoration of my 41 pickup, I am at the stage of correcting and making adjustments that were put off along the way. One of those is the hood adjustment. With the hood hinges on with the proper bolts, etc., the hood has about a 1/2 inch gap on the cowl. I am reluctant to adjust the hole sizes in the hinges but I don't see any other way of adjusting the fit.

Any ideas?

Ron Jensen

(I am attaching a picture of my almost completed pickup)

trjford8    -- 02-11-2011 @ 7:11 PM
  Great looking pickup. You should be able to adjust the hood with the hinges. The hinges ususally need to go in the opposite direction of the adjustment. The hinges move up to make the hood go down. Doesn't sound right, but that's the way it works. Unbolt the the arm that contains the spring, so it does not work against you. Loosen the hinge bolts at the cowl (there's three on each side) and then adjust the hood where you want it to sit. Now begin to tighten down the hinge bolts. Tighten the rear one inside the car at the cowl first. It's a slow process , but be patient. 40's are not fun to adjust the front sheetmetal.

41pickupguy    -- 02-12-2011 @ 8:24 PM
  Thanks for the advise on my hood. I will give it a try to see if I can get a good fit. I knew there must be a way and that someone in the club would have the answer. This is a great place for sharing.

This hood has been a real challenge for me. While most 40 Ford guys think the hood on the 40 and the 41 are the same, that is not the case. The 41 hood was made to accomodate three engines. The V-8, the six and the 4. The front of the hood has different brackets for the hood tie down. You can buy all the parts for the 40 but even Bob Drake doesn't have the details for the 41. I had to improvise on mine as it has the cross menbers for the other engines as well as the V-8 that was original in mine when I bought it in 1960.

Thanks again for the advise. I will let you know how it works out for me. (Send me your e-mail address for my response.)

Ron Jensen
consultrja@att.net

supereal    -- 02-13-2011 @ 10:43 AM
  Ron: Hood adjustment is as much an art as a science, and requires lots of patience as everything you do affects something else. The linkage is designed to pull down the cowl end of the hood just before it latches by going "over center". Two things affect this action: worn pivots in the linkage, and weak springs. Most linkages require special shoulder bolts. It isn't unusual to find someone replaced them with common bolts. Original springs lose tension over time. Replacements are readily available, and are usually under ten bucks. You can see hood parts in the C&G online catalog www.cgfordparts.com

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2579