Topic: 34 Ford Pickup Gauges

Dolman    -- 02-11-2011 @ 3:28 PM
  The gauges in the 34 pickup I just bought are wrong. It has an ammeter made by Suntune and an oil pressure gauge made my Sun. I have found the end of the internet looking for a photo of a dashboard showing what the gauges should be but couldn't find one. George, you have the identical pickup. Can you tell me what the gauges should be? And the next question... can anyone tell me where to get the proper gauges?

TomO    -- 02-12-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  Try Baxter Ford parts in KS for gauges.

# 131 ARKANSAS ST, LAWRENCE, KS 66044-1380
# Telephone: (785) 842-9256

Tom

1932BB    -- 02-12-2011 @ 7:40 AM
  There were only two gauges in the 32 to 34 trucks, an amp gauge on the driver's side and a gas gauge on the passenger's side. To my knowledge, new amp gauges are not available. If you find a source let me know please(oldbeemers@charter.net). It is frustrating when a Model A amp gauge is available for less than $10 and B gauges are unobtainable. The gas gauge is a King Seely hydrostatic unit that looks like a thermometer. Much has been said about this complicated system in this forum and most probably in the V8 Times. If you need a gas tank "sending unit" I have a few. I spent too much money having a professional gauge service make a good ammeter out of three. My gas gauge is also a three into one and looks really good but does not work correctly yet. I have read, possibly in this forum, where someone stated that making a King Seely gas gauge work properly is a notable personal lifetime achievement. I'm still working on it! If you need pictures let me know. I have had better luck posting on e-mail than on this site.

George    -- 02-12-2011 @ 9:58 AM
  Dolman,
I just went out to the garage and photographed the instrument panel (not much) on the '34 Ford P/U. I will attempt to attach them to this message. I hope it works!

George

George    -- 02-12-2011 @ 10:06 AM
  I guess I don't know how to attach photographs to this web page. The ameter is on the left of the speedometer and the gas gauge is on the right of the speedometer. My photos show this very well, but I don't know how to attach them to this message. Sorry.

George

Dolman    -- 02-12-2011 @ 10:48 AM
  Thanks folks for the info. Now that I know what to look for, I'll try Baxter Ford. There is another possible source in Rocky Mountain Relics 970-686-2926.

George, I understand your frustration with photo posting. Had a similar problem sending photos to one my sons this morning.

supereal    -- 02-12-2011 @ 10:55 AM
  George: First, reduce the size of your pictures. We usually make then 6 by 9. If you are using the Adobe program, the "export file format" will allow you to compress the photo in JPEG. Save the photo to a file or the desk top. When you use the "reply" feature of this site, click the "browse" box to show the file, then open the photo from the file where it is stored. You should see the file location in the box ahead of "browse". When you send the reply, the photo should be attached. This sounds complicated, but after you use it, it is easier.

jim5618    -- 02-18-2011 @ 6:25 AM
  I would be interested in seeing what a correct ammeter guage for the truck is as I think I have one in my 32 tudor. Obviously, that means it is not correct for my car. If it is right for your truck and I get a correct one for my car, I will sell it to you. Mine is a 30 amp one with a brownish bezel. The correct one for my car is a 20amp with a chrome bezel.

Dolman    -- 02-18-2011 @ 7:09 AM
  George apparently has the correct ammeter in his 34 but has been able to post a photo to the forum. So George, if you read this, please send a photo to my email address amc@alaska.com. Thanks.

Dolman    -- 02-19-2011 @ 7:16 AM
  jim5618,

I removed the Suntune ammeter yesterday to test it independent of the pickup's circuitry and as I suspected, it's dead. Very interested in your offer to sell the one in your 32 if and when you find the one you're looking for. You can email me at amc@alaska.com.

George    -- 02-19-2011 @ 9:06 AM
  I just went out to the garage and looked at the gauges in my 1934 Ford P/U. The ammeter and fuel gauge, both have have a light grey or dull silvery color. The speedometer has a nearly black background. From color pictures I have seen this appears to be correct. All of this observation is in a very dim lighting. Using a flashlight is nbot much help as it chages the color somewhat. Soo, that's all I have to offer.
George Maher

George

Dolman    -- 02-19-2011 @ 9:30 AM
  Thanks, George.

I got very familiar with the speedometer yesterday. It had been worked on sometime in the past and all of the tangs for attaching the faceplate to the frame had been broken off. The face plate had been re-attached with scotch tape that had curled up and lifted the print off the plate at about the 10 MPH and 70 MPH points. The needle was stopped by the curled tape. The best I could do was add more tape to flatten the curls.
Not pretty, but function is restored. Total replacement is not a priority at this time. The face is black with cream colored numbers that may have been white when new.

supereal    -- 02-19-2011 @ 3:35 PM
  We use Bob's Speedometer to assess our gauges. They can look at your speedo, etc, and give you a reliable estimate of what it will take to put them in decent condition. www.bobsspeedometer.com

Dolman    -- 02-19-2011 @ 4:39 PM
  Thanks for the tip, Supereal. I need to set up an index for all of the resources I've learned of on this forum.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2576