Topic: 4 POST LIFT

42ford    -- 02-11-2011 @ 12:31 PM
  Looking for feedback from some owners of 4 post lifts. I don't need to spend a lot of $ for a pro lift. What are some suggestions?
Thanks
Dick

supereal    -- 02-11-2011 @ 2:20 PM
  We have two of them in our shop. They are heavy duty hoists capable of handling any vehicle that will fit between the towers. You can see a number of types at www.completehydraulic.com There are some non-pro hoists out there, but given the safety factor involved, it seems foolish to cut corners on that investment.

40guy    -- 02-11-2011 @ 3:19 PM
  I'm more concerned with safety that most other things. I too have been looking at 4 post lifts. The only real conclusion I've come to is I want one made in the U.S.A. My made in China bathroom towel racks won't even hold a towel without modification. Therefore, I conclude there is no way I would trust them to make something to hold up a car while I get under it. No thanks.

42ford    -- 02-11-2011 @ 5:28 PM
  Supereal
Which ones do you have?

rstefani59    -- 02-11-2011 @ 6:30 PM
  I have a Danmar 4 post lift. It works very well and I have had no problems with it.

OldIron    -- 02-11-2011 @ 7:27 PM
  I have a Direct Lift. It is made in China but I have been happy with the quality. It is a 7,000lb capacity and I use it strictly for my early Fords. I have had it about 5 years, keep it serviced, and have had no problems with it. At a cost of under $2,000, it's hard to beat. . . Chuck

supereal    -- 02-12-2011 @ 11:26 AM
  42: I'm not at the shop today, but I'll post the brand when I am there. They are very expensive because we service several truck fleets. I've seen some of the cheap hoists, and I wouldn't get under anything on one. They might be sufficient to "doubledeck" cars for storage, but working on any vehicle usually requires some tugging, etc, and shifting of loads when large components are removed and installed. As in all things, "if cheap was as good as good, there wouldn't be any good".

supereal    -- 02-12-2011 @ 11:38 AM
  Oops! Try again.

Model B    -- 02-14-2011 @ 7:24 AM
  If you want a quality "American" made 4-post lift, I would recommend the Backyard Buddy. They are made in Warren, Ohio with steel made in either the U.S.A. or Canada. They cost a little more, but they are designed with safety in mind. Good luck, Pat

parrish    -- 02-16-2011 @ 7:24 AM
  I have inspected some of the major players in the field and found this to be very helpful in justifying extra dollars as safety insurance...

http://www.astudyinliftdesign.com/

larryb346    -- 02-16-2011 @ 8:26 AM
  I have a bendpak two post lift and am very happy with it. I do a lot of body work so I bought the two post so it was easier to work on suspension and things like front and rear 1/4's
I've been very pleased with mine

supereal    -- 02-16-2011 @ 11:07 AM
  I agree with Larry regarding the access provided by a two post lift. As I promised, I looked at our hoists. They are "Mohawk" brand. The company phone is 518/842-2006. I assume they have a catalog. We traded our smaller hoists thru a local rep. We have very heavy duty hoists to service trucks, etc, which are likely inappropriate for hobby use. They may have some for that application.

1934 Ford    -- 02-17-2011 @ 5:19 PM
  Larryb346 & supereal made good points about the two post lift. I agree but I'm now 65 and the floor seams to get harder. A four poster is in my future too.
Here's why: A close friend knows I'm in the market for a new lift and calls each time he uses his two poster and says: "Every time I go out to put a car on the lift I have a minimum of 8 trips to the floor and back up.
Drive the car on, #1 Get down at four corners and place the arms. #2 Raise the lift a little and #3 Get down 4 more times to check again. 2 X 4 = 8 and maybe more! !#$%&*! I'll just get on the floor and change the oil and only get down there twice. If I had a four poster I'd just drive on a lift the car, No trips to the cold floor."
I've heard it so many times, I have to agree. Plus, I do more oil/grease/inspecting than brakes or wheels.
Even then, I can let it down on jack stands and have the car at working height with a fine shelf for tools and parts and work sitting down too.

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 2-20-11 @ 5:32 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2575