Topic: Old Ford test equipment

32hoke    -- 11-04-2009 @ 3:51 PM
  I picked up this old Ford test stuff at a swap meet last weekend and wondered if anyone looking at this fourm can identify the year, etc. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Have any of you had experiene in restoring these things? I'm tying to attache a picture of what I have--hope it turns out.
JAM

40 Coupe    -- 11-04-2009 @ 5:54 PM
  after the war Heyer made this test set for ford. looks like it will take some work to get it up and running again, if you can get it to work it will be worth all the effort.

32hoke    -- 11-05-2009 @ 5:49 AM
  From your reply to my question it appears the equipment was made in the late 1940s then? Thanks for the info.

Chevguy49Ford    -- 11-05-2009 @ 9:44 AM
  Very neat. Would be nice to see that restored to look new and display with your car.

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

32hoke    -- 11-05-2009 @ 10:35 AM
  Any suggestions on how to research the equipment shown? I tried to Google "Heyer" but had no luck. Right now I'm not sure what I want to do with this stuff--restore, leave as is--sell--? I'm open to suggestions. It appears that everything it there including glass, knobs, dials, etc. There is some rust on the bottom but the wheels are still there. If they are to be restored I don't know the color, etc.
Thanks,
JAM

supereal    -- 11-05-2009 @ 10:54 AM
  Old test equipment has started to become interesting to many, after most was either carted to the landfill, or shut away in the attic. We bought our first Sun 504 for $25 about ten years ago. It took some fixing, and the purchase of a flathead adapter, but it operates like new. We had some help from a dealer in these machines, Bob Masters. He buys, sells, trades, and repairs them. His phone is 859/441-6119. E-mail: Rmasters3@fuse.net

GM    -- 11-06-2009 @ 6:12 AM
  I have a Ford~Heyer distributor machine up in Pa. and Skip has 2 in Florida. He does a lot of distributors and keeps one as a back up. I rebuild all of them and had to make the distributor holding fixtures for two of them. They are all timed to a master distributor so every distributor done on them is the same which has been proven to be right on time as well as the other fearures tested. The master distributor is keep in a sealed bag and Skip machines are recalabrated with the master every month or so to make sure they stay right on the original timeing specs. Over a thousand distributors have been set to the original factory settings. To rebuild these you need the service manuals and some knowledge of the circuits. The vacume pumps need service on the leather valves and the air drive motors need to be serviced. Don't leave pluged in to 110 when not useing. One garage burnt down in PA 10 or 15 years ago and the test machine was blamed as the source. G.M.

32hoke    -- 11-12-2009 @ 6:13 AM
  I have a Ford-Heyer Diagnosis Test Set and a Ford-Heyer Distributor Stroboscope. Both need to be restored but appear to be all there. If you or anyone is interested in having one or both I'd like to get $200.00 each. I can furnish pictures if you are interested. Thanks.

This message was edited by 32hoke on 11-12-09 @ 6:25 AM

32hoke    -- 11-12-2009 @ 6:27 AM
  Here is a picture of the test set.

v8toolman    -- 02-14-2010 @ 2:48 PM
  I have a couple of nice working units that I use... might be interested in yours for parts. I also have factory electrical and mechanical drawings on them that are helpful in restoring them.
You can call me at 636-947-4515
Larry Shepard, St. Charles, MO

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=256