Topic: 59AB Water Pump

rbone    -- 02-08-2011 @ 12:56 PM
  I need to replace the passenger side water pump on my 59AB. There are lots available on the internet. Some of the websites are advertising their pumps are 'better' than the original. Can anyone recommend a specific company and water pump? I plan to change both pumps while I am at it.

Thanks,
Ron

tbloss    -- 02-08-2011 @ 3:37 PM
  rbone: Send your pumps to Skip Haney down in Fl. He will rebuild them and has a fast turn around. Have his pumps on 3 cars, one for around 10 years.No problems and I drive my cars a lot. Skip has ads in the V-8 Times. Tom..

Tblossom

rbone    -- 02-08-2011 @ 6:33 PM
  Thanks Tom. I found his # and will call him tomorrow.

Ron

This message was edited by rbone on 2-8-11 @ 7:28 PM

GNWolohon    -- 02-09-2011 @ 4:20 AM
  I sent my pumps from my '41 & 48 Ford's to Skip & they work better than ever. Another item is that you know that they will fit the engines that you took them off. I've read discussions regarding some of the imported replacement parts don't fit.

Larry W./owner of '41 & 48 V-8 Ford

supereal    -- 02-09-2011 @ 8:58 AM
  Replace or rebuild both water pumps, even though only one shows a problem. So many other parts, such as headlamps, usually fail at nearly the same time, and it saves time and effort to fix both. I don't know if it is "planned obsolescence", or coincidence.

39 Ken    -- 02-09-2011 @ 10:09 AM
  Bob, It's coincidental obsolescence, no doubt about it. BTW, in this latest spate of "global warming", did you bring in the "brass monkey?":>) Ken

Texas40    -- 02-09-2011 @ 11:20 AM
  Speaking of the brass monkey, tonight in North Texas forecast 7 degrees? Colder than my lifetime and I'm an old toot. On the subject of water pumps, supereal is correct, do both pumps, Skip pumps are the way to go, I have personal experience with after market pump housing no fit on engine--not a good thing out on the road. Skips pumps work great for me in hot Texas (in season)driving conditions.

bo8109b    -- 02-09-2011 @ 11:24 AM
  Bob Drake has their water pumps on sale now for 99.50 a pair. Bought some recently and they fit perfectly.

rbone    -- 02-09-2011 @ 3:22 PM
  Would someone mind telling me how much Mr. Haney charges to rebuild a pair of pumps?

Thanks BO on the Bob Drake tip. I did not know they were on sale.

I also live in Texas and do everything I can to keep the old flattie running cool in the summer time.

Thanks,
Ron

tbloss    -- 02-10-2011 @ 7:55 AM
  rbone: Best I can remember, Skip charges $200.00 for both pumps. Don't cut corners on your water pumps, as they are the the heart of your engine. Give Skip a call. He is great to work with and will answer your questions.Tom..

Tblossom

supereal    -- 02-10-2011 @ 10:23 AM
  Skip charges $200 per pair, plus S&H of $12. The pumps you get back are your pumps. You can send them , with a check for $212 to Skip at 12168 Azure Ct. Punta Gorda FL 33955. If you prefer replacements, Bob Drake has a sale on new ones at $99.50 for the pair until March 31. See his ads in the latest issue of the V8 TIMES

supereal    -- 02-10-2011 @ 10:43 AM
  Ken: I am more worried about me, than the monkey! The "wind chill" here last night was 30 below! At our shop, we sold more batteries this week than we have for months. Batteries lose more than half of their power when the temp goes below zero, and those who have neglected maintenance were stranded. Over 50% of vehicles today are more than six years old, and the hard times have cut even minor repairs. I actually saw a fellow yesterday beating on a frozen radiator hose with a plastic hammer!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2558