Topic: 600x16 tires & tubes

Robert/Texas    -- 02-08-2011 @ 7:05 AM
  Several days ago I ordered 4 tires and 4 tubes from Summit Racing for my ’37 Ford touring sedan. The tires are BF Goodrich 600x16 bias ply tires and the tubes are Coker brand. The catalog showed 2 different sizes of tubes, one for 650/700x16 and the other for I selected the latter. There was no mention in the online catalog that either of these tubes were for radial tires.

The tires are on backorder and are to be sent around 2/24 but the tubes were sent yesterday. In an email to me, it stated that these tubes are for radial tires. Does this matter? If it does, I need to work something out with Summit Racing to get the correct tubes.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

40 Coupe    -- 02-08-2011 @ 7:29 AM
  tubes for radial tires are much thicker and heavier that the tubes for bias ply tires, plus they usually cost more. You can use the radial tube in a bias ply tire without a problem.

Robert/Texas    -- 02-08-2011 @ 12:40 PM
  Thanks 40 coupe, I guess I'll just use them. They did cost about $3 more than the other size mentioned but those were not supposed fit a 600x16 tire. Some tubes I got from Coker for a Model T (30x3-1/2)several years ago were so thin that I was afraid to use them. I used my old ones which seemed to be about 3 times as heavy. About a year later when I needed one of these Coker tubes, I found that they were dry rotted where they were folded and completely useless.

1934 Ford    -- 02-08-2011 @ 6:05 PM
  If you plan on driving your car a lot, the radial tubes are the best answer.
In 1984 I drove the Great American Race in the 34 Ford
with an extra gas tank and spare parts. 10 of 10 Coker tubes failed.
Subsequent races we used radial tubes, no problems.
In those days the tubes were maked "not for regular road use" (Meaning Trailer Queens Only).
While the tubes are better now, I've never forgotten changing all those flats that came apart at the seams.
We fininshed that race with a tube of super clue on a
McDonald's napkin installed within a mile of the finish line on the Indianapolis Motor Raceway on May 30th.
We parked the flat mobile and enjoyed the Indy 500.
Now, 27 years later I'm sure Coker tubes are fine, but I still buy radial tubes.

ford38v8    -- 02-08-2011 @ 7:13 PM
  I've gone through 3 sets of tires (Coker) on my car, used new Coker tubes each time, and had but one flat from a nail. Fixed the tube with a regular old tube hot patch, not another problem. I'd never even heard of radial tubes until just now on this forum!

One thing I think is important, no matter what tubes are used: Talcum powder and lots of it.

Alan

Robert/Texas    -- 02-09-2011 @ 5:54 AM
  Thanks again to all. I should have mentioned that the poorly made Model T tubes were for clincher type tires and made in Vietnam. I have heard that these were the only ones available at the time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2554