Topic: 36 radio installation

quabbinman    -- 02-03-2011 @ 12:01 PM
  I have recently purchased a really nice restored open car radio to put into my 36 2dr slant...I bought it because the speaker and radio are integrated...my question is? is there a manual showing how to install the radio correctly.
I thank all of you have helped me in the past...Ken

watwasithinking    -- 02-05-2011 @ 12:46 AM
  Ken,
I believe the radio you have is a Philco F-9 model. You should have two pieces...the radio and the control head (channel and volume selector). The control head should have a tuning cable,volume cable, and wire that feeds power to the frequency dial light. Be sure your volume and channel selectors have the slotted ends. Without the slotted style ends...your cables will not mate properly to the radio. Located at the bottom of this post you will find a list of suppliers that can supply installation manuals, antennaes and the T bolt mounting hardware you are going to need.

Here are the steps to installing your radio.

Step 1: Locate the two mounting hole guide dimples in the dash. (If your vehicle has had a radio that has been removed there may be two bolts filling the radio mount holes) When installed, your radio will be located under the dash and just to the right of the steering column. You'll need to size your bolts and select the correct drill bit...probably a 5/16" as I recall. Drill two holes checking on the inside to be sure there's nothing in the way on the other side of the firewall.

Step 2: Push the bolts through from the engine side clearing the way through the insulation. Remove the bolts and proceed to the inside of the car. Install the two T bolts and place washers on the bolts. Next place the nuts on grabbing just enough thread to keep the bolts from falling out of the holes.

Step 3: Slip the radio T bolts into the slot holders located on each end of the radio chassis. Tighten bolts being careful not to pinch the windshield vacuum hose. You have now completed the hardest part of the installation.

Step 4:
Remove your ashtray and the two screws that hold the plate. There should be a bracket attached to your control head with two wing nuts. Install the bracket in the ashtray opening. Feed the control cables and light wire through the opening and secure the control head.

Step 5:
Locate the volume and the channel connection ports on the side of the radio beside the treble/bass knob. Turn the tuner knob on the control head and advance the dial to the highest frequency. Slide the slotted lead into the radio tuner port. Turn the knob and check to see if your in the frq. port and not the vol. port. You will want to turn the knob all the way back to the 540 side of the dial. If your needle stops before reaching the 540 on the dial you will need to remove the cable from the port and turn the dial towards the 540 half the difference. You may need to try adjusting several times before getting it right. Next, connect the volume control cable. Turn the radio on and off to see if your connection is correct.
Step 6: Locate the power supply cable coming from the radio. Connect this lead and the dial light power wire coming from the control head to either of the two posts located on the connector block to the left of the resistor and fuse. Remove one of the 11/32" nuts chosen and make connection. The power supply line should have an inline fuse. Check to see if there is a fuse and it is ok.

Step 6: Locate the antennae lead and connect to your radio antennae. Turn on the power, turn volume up and wait. In about 30 seconds you should begin hearing the vibrator beginning to vibrate. Select a station. Congratulations.

Bob Drake Reproductions, 1-800-221-FORD has reprints of the radio Instruction Manuals. They sell for about $6.00 each. If you are in need of the correct T nuts and large washers that are used to mount the radio chassis to the firewall, I would suggest giving Roy Nacewicz Enterprises, 1-734-654-9450. Regarding antennaes, the running board antennae and spare tire antennae are available. Little Dearborn Parts, 1-612-331-2066 has the spare tire versionn antennae. The only supplier of the Philco running board antennae that I am familiar with is available on website, www.yesterdaysradio.com IT is rather pricey. I made mine out of two copper ground rods and insulated the rods with phenolic pieces...about $25 total cost. Hope this information leads you in the right direction. One last thought...you can always take a regular old telescoping am antenna and install it under the running board. Mount it using the insulation through the holes in the running board braces and insulate with pieces of rubber hose The only potential problem using a telescoping antennae is that your radio should have a bayonet style coupling if it is original and you will be needing a Motorola style in order to connect to your radio.

Regards,
Thomas

quabbinman    -- 02-06-2011 @ 11:33 AM
  Thomas,I cannot thank you enough for your knowledge...Ken

thirtysixford    -- 02-10-2011 @ 11:25 AM
  Wow... I thank you as well

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2535