Topic: valve guide removal

stevep    -- 11-04-2009 @ 1:43 PM
  I need help, can anyone tell me how to remove the valve guide retainer and valve guide? I can't get the valve guide to move down using a pry bar and kroil so I can remove the retainer. I have ordered a new valve guide removal tool maybe that will do the trick. An of you guys got an idea on how to remove the valve guide and retainer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve

This message was edited by stevep on 11-4-09 @ 1:48 PM

fortyfordguy    -- 11-04-2009 @ 6:04 PM
  We covered this subject with pictures on our website (www.flatheadv8.com). Here is the link:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_valveremoval_tools-1.htm

There are a couple webpages which are cross-linked so be sure to see them all. Some of the tools shown are available from a couple sources, but some are old tools that aren't mfr'd anymore.

supereal    -- 11-05-2009 @ 11:19 AM
  We use a tool that has a knurled roller to pull the forks. Usually, the hole in the fork end pulls out before the fork comes loose. Stubborn guides, more often than not, have to be driven down. If they are extra tough, the valve head may have to be removed to get full access to the guide. As they are carboned in place, penetrating oil usually doesn't help much. We prefer replacement with the later one piece type when putting the engine back together.

stevep    -- 11-05-2009 @ 1:01 PM
  The engine is a 1950 239 ci.flathead V8. It has 42,000 documented miles. I had a broken valve spring. It sounds like alot of work to get the stuck valve guide/retainer out. I ordered all new valve assembly parts that I had planned to install in that cylinder. The engine ran fine before the spring broke. What do you guys think about just replacing the valve spring and using the old valve and guide. They appear to be in good condition.

supereal    -- 11-05-2009 @ 1:53 PM
  If your engine ran OK before the spring broke, replacing just the spring and the retainer should be fine in your 8BA engine. If it is stock, and doesn't have adjustable lifters, you will have to have the valve stem ground to get the proper clearance if you replace the valve, so if it seems usable, I wouldn't replace it. With that few miles, I'd expect it to be good, but be sure to check the clearance.

TomO    -- 11-07-2009 @ 7:37 AM
  SteveP, the procedure on Van Pelts web site is to be used when normal methods do not work. Your engine should have the one piece valve guides. If they cannot be pulled down with the valve bar, you can remove the keepers at the bottom of the valve, remove the valve and then drive the guide down, being careful to not damage the guide.

Tom

stevep    -- 11-11-2009 @ 5:32 AM
  UPDATE: I just test ran the engine and it ran fine. I replaced the valve spring, retainer and keeper. I used the old valve and guide. I used permatex#2 to seal head bolt threads. Just wanted to thank all you guys for your advise. This was the first time working on a Flathead. Thanks again for all your help. I owe you bigtime!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=253