Topic: 1946 Front End Allignment Specs

Steves46    -- 01-31-2011 @ 12:45 PM
  I need to get a front end allignment on my 46 Coupe and need the specs. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has this or points me in the right direction.

oldford2    -- 01-31-2011 @ 2:41 PM
  Steve, I believe the only spec you need is toe-in. 1/8 to 1/4". This a pretty fine adjustment and impossible to get if your king pins, tie rod, and steering box have "play". John

Steves46    -- 01-31-2011 @ 2:46 PM
  Hi John. The steering is pretty tight and hardly has any play. Other than the occasional Bias-Ply Boogie, it drove very nicely to and from Vic's place last Saturday. The reason I was asking is that I will soon be ordering a set of 600 x 16 equivelents in radials from Diamondback and thought perhaps an allignment may be in order but then again, I could be wrong. Still learning! Steve

42ford    -- 01-31-2011 @ 3:47 PM
  That's correct. All you can do is toe in. Any other adjustments must be done by bending the axle. If it drives good just check to in. Make sure weight is on all the wheels

Stroker    -- 01-31-2011 @ 4:49 PM
  You can do a toe-in adjustment at home. Jack-up the front end, and take a piece of chalk, or a "lumber-marking crayon", and spin the front wheel while applying a stripe about midway on the road surface of the tire. Do this on both front wheels, and then measure the difference between the "front" and "back" of these stripes. A tape measure doesn't work well, but a rigid piece of wood or aluminum, makes a good
yardstick. If I had a choice, I'd always go for more toe-in than less, as any condition that creates toe-out will result in a "handfull" from a driving standpoint.

oldford2    -- 01-31-2011 @ 5:19 PM
  http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/oldford2/100_1990.jpg

Steve, I am not too good posting pics on this site. Here is a picture of my high tech toe-in fixture. I put a piece of masking tape on the circumferance of the tire and then spin it while holding a pencil to get a mark. Then lower the front end and mark the fixture in front of the tires at the line. Then move the fixture to the rear of the tire to see how the marks line up.The tire lines should be wider at the rear to indicate toe in. Clear as mud. John

39 Ken    -- 02-01-2011 @ 3:52 AM
  All of my Ford Repair manuals call for a toe in spec of 0 to 1/16". If you're using radial tires, 0 toe in seems to be the best for handling and wear. Ken

alanwoodieman    -- 02-01-2011 @ 8:12 AM
  set toe in at 1/16", more will increase the wear of the tires, if you have a service manual, you should already, it will explain how to "read" the tires for wear. if upon learning how to do this, read your current tires, if the are showing wear then correct, if not leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fit it

Old Henry    -- 02-01-2011 @ 12:30 PM
  Here is the page of the owners manual showing all alignment specs.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

supereal    -- 02-01-2011 @ 12:53 PM
  I agree with Ken. We have found that 0 toe-in works best with radials. Before you mount the radials, be sure to check the runout (wobble) of each rim with a dial gauge. Any found can set up shimmy with radials because they have less sidewall rigidity than the bias ply tires. Combined with worn kingpins or other loose steering components, an unsafe condition can result.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2520