Topic: What is the best way to remove studs from Flathead

carcrazy    -- 11-04-2009 @ 7:19 AM
  What is the best method to use in removing cylinder head, exhaust manifold and any other studs from a Ford Flathead V8 engine block?

supereal    -- 11-04-2009 @ 8:29 AM
  Chances are that at least one or more studs and bolts will snap off in the process of removal. These fasteners have been subjected to almost countless heat and cool cycles which anneals them to the point that they easily twist off. First, use a quality stud removing tool. The old style with the knurled rollers will likely cause more problems. Applying heat to the affected part will often release the fastener. If it doesn't budge on your first try, use some heat before you overstress it and break it off. If you do snap one or more, it is best to have a machine shop extract them. We use a wire welder to attach a stub. The heat of welding usually shakes them loose enough to be backed off. If you try to drill them for an "easy out" use a set of left hand drills in gradually increasing size, after carefully centering the drill. Once removed, be sure to clean the threads with a tap designed for the job. A common threading tap will enlarge the threads to the point they may not hold when the replacement studs and bolts are tightened.

carcrazy    -- 11-04-2009 @ 8:59 AM
  Thank you. Where can I purchase a quality stud removal tool, and how will I recognize it?

supereal    -- 11-04-2009 @ 12:44 PM
  Look in your phone book for a Snap On tool dealer, or a Mac dealer. They can advise you as to the most popular types available. There are lots of cheap Chinese tools floating around, but almost always they are inferior in results.

1934 Ford    -- 11-06-2009 @ 6:41 PM
  Mine is Sears Craftsman, works great. It looks like a big fat socket with roller on the side that pinches the stud and turns it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=252