Topic: Carburator adjustment

47Jack    -- 01-30-2011 @ 2:09 PM
  My 47 1 and a 1/2 ton truck has been sitting most of the winter and I start it up once a week and let it get to full temperature. I notice how rich it seems to run mostly by the odor of the exhaust. There's no carbon in the snow by the exhaust pipe.

My question is seeing as how there is just needle valves for the air do you adjust for the maximum rpms? I would think the gas amount is fixed by the size of the nozzles. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

supereal    -- 01-30-2011 @ 2:36 PM
  The only carb adjustments are the two idle needles and the idle speed screw on the throttle shaft. The main jets are fixed. The mixture can be skewed if the power valve leaks. If so, the power valve must be replaced. The idle stop screw should be set for about 500 rpm with the engine warmed up, and the choke completely open. If you want to check idle speed, make a mark on the belt and watch for twenty five revs in 10 seconds. Turn each idle needle down until the engine begins to miss, then out until the engine "rolls". Then, turn the screws in until the idle is smooth. If you have a vacuum gauge, adjust the carb for maximum vacuum at idle. Many trucks had a thermostatic valve in the exhaust system to aid warmup. They often stick, resulting in idle and performance problems, and should be removed. I don't run my old cars unless I can drive them about ten miles. Starting them sitting still for long periods causes sludge and rots the exhaust system. It is a fine looking truck. It would help to reduce the photo size and post it in JPEG so it load faster and can be viewed as an entire photo.

47Jack    -- 01-30-2011 @ 7:19 PM
  Thank you for your advice. I have copied and printed it and will go out and make some adjustments when it gets above freezing. In our area, upstate New York, they use a lot of calcium chloride on the roads and I'll only drive the truck if the roads are dry. In the future I'll make smaller copies of photos I post.

Jack

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2517