Topic: how can I

46fordnut    -- 01-30-2011 @ 7:44 AM
  how would i go about finding how many of a car a left around. im looking to find out about my 1946 ford super deluxe fordor. does anybody have an idea?

supereal    -- 01-30-2011 @ 10:54 AM
  To my knowledge, there is no reliable tally of how many of any vehicle produced is still existing. The "rule of thumb" often quoted is that 5% of any existing category is lost each year. The total number of '46 super deluxe fordors produced is given as 92,056. If you subtract 5% from the resulting total each year, You will see that there are not many around today after 65 years. Running a quick computation using five percent annual decline over a 65 year period, leaves about 3,900 still around in one form or another.

kubes40    -- 01-30-2011 @ 1:01 PM
  Super is right about the commonly used 'quotient' for 'guesstimating' how many vehicles per model survived.
The problem with a static quotient are the many, many variables reality places upon our beloved old cars.
Fordor sedans generally lived longer than coupes. Coupes generally lived longer than convertibles. Cars built before WWII had a shorter life span in general than cars built after WWII.
The bottom line as has been suggested is very subjective.

46fordnut    -- 01-30-2011 @ 1:38 PM
  is there some web sight to place a car on to reg it for records?

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 1-30-11 @ 1:39 PM

kubes40    -- 01-30-2011 @ 2:08 PM
  None that I am aware of to be worth a grain of salt.
Attempting to determine 'how may remain' is futile at best.
I always chuckle when I read a for sale ad that states
"? many known to exist". I always think there are so many known to exist by whom?
The only car make that I am aware of that are actually accounted for are Duesenberg's. If I recall correctly nearly each and every one built has been accounted for its whereabouts or demise.

supereal    -- 01-30-2011 @ 2:56 PM
  Couldn't agree more, Mike. I used whole numbers to do a quick computer run, and as you told me, the exact number is probably closer to 3,300 than the figure I came up with. That said, there can be no exact figure, anyway. Occasionally someone will try to tally the number of rare models, such as the Sportsman. As you noted, until you get into exotic marques, rarity probably doesn't figure into value to any extent. We hear a lot today about "matching numbers", etc, but in the case of our old Fords, it doesn't count. Usually, the old adage that "when the top goes down, the price goes up" is a better indicator. I sure hope so, as I have a ton of money invested in my '47 convertible! When I started to restore it, I found that out of 22,159 built, there were almost zero parts cars out there and, even then any usable pieces were rough and expensive. It only took about ten years to get it done to its present condition.

proxie35    -- 01-30-2011 @ 4:16 PM
  Super, Beautiful 47, I can sure understand the 10 years. But I'll bet it's more like Two tons of money. Sherrel

46fordnut    -- 01-30-2011 @ 4:30 PM
  sorry.. but mine is along way from being a nice a the one you have. but i guess as long as its a flathead v8 its one with all the gear heads. flatheads live forever!!
its a super deluxe 1946

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 1-30-11 @ 4:31 PM

supereal    -- 01-31-2011 @ 8:34 AM
  Thank you. Yes, the money is often measured in "tons", but anyone who takes on a thorough restoration has to understand that it must be a labor of love. I looked for a 46-48 convertible for years, and finally located mine via a tip from a friend. After restoring a number of cars, I thought I knew what to look for but, like a "newby", I really fell for the car when I saw it. Of course, when I started to disassemble it, I knew I was in for a much bigger project than anticipated. What I have is not a concourse or show car, but a fun and safe driver that is dependable and turns heads everywhere. To me, that is the essence of the hobby. I have no quarrel with those who do immaculate restorations, and admire their work immensely, but before you undertake that path, be sure you enjoy your car, and are not reluctant to actually find the experience of driving it.

silverchief    -- 02-03-2011 @ 4:49 PM
  Supereal.

Just got my coupe back from the shop with the rebuilt trans installed, along with complete new exhaust system'and fine tuning of the engine. I'm a little upside down on it now, but how do you put a price on the pleasure you get at the coffee shop when young people gather around to ask questions and old timers nod approvingly.

As you say - it's what our hobby is all about.

wrosenkrans    -- 02-04-2011 @ 7:41 AM
  Hear-hear!

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

supereal    -- 02-04-2011 @ 10:46 AM
  SC: I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you lately, now I know. Turning heads with a good looking old car, to me, is much of what it is all about. As for being "upside down", remember that "an old car is just a tin box into which you toss most of your money".

Henryat1140    -- 02-04-2011 @ 11:31 AM
  Second these thoughts. I used to envy collectors who had 'better' cars than mine, but came to realize it's not whether you have a good car or a bad car, a cheap car or an expensive car, its the FUN you have with it, and how you have that fun that really determines your return on investment in the hobby.

My fun meter isn't pegged, but it's pretty far up there.

Henry

46fordnut    -- 02-04-2011 @ 6:04 PM
  yes ..that's the way it should be viewed. not as a useless thing that has no use what so ever. like i took a short trip with mine it's a long way from what it should look like, but some person when i came out behind them he didn't know. he said to his son witch may have been 4 years old " look at that old piece of junk". should have seen his face when i got in a drove off. i saw the guys jaw almost hit the ground . it felt good to know just maybe he felt really dumb for once.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2514