Topic: Cracked wheels repaiaable?

RSS    -- 01-29-2011 @ 4:08 PM
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am cleanning up weels for my 1935 sedan and found cracks in 4 out of 5 wheels, 4 lug holes are cracked on one wheel, 3 holes on one other wheel, and 2 holes on a third wheel. the one with the rim crack has no lug hole cracks. Is the cracks in the first two pictures repairable?, and is the cracks in the third picture normal?. Thanks Randy

RSS    -- 01-29-2011 @ 4:11 PM
  2nd picture

RSS    -- 01-29-2011 @ 4:13 PM
  3rd picture

proxie35    -- 01-29-2011 @ 7:12 PM
  RSS, I'm not a welder, but I beleive a good welder can wire weld these cracks. Then you can grind the welds down smooth. Just my though. Sherrel

39 Ken    -- 01-30-2011 @ 4:31 AM
  The cracks that are showing probably can be welded but what other cracks will appear after you put them in service. The wheel with the crack in the bead looks pretty rough and I wouldn't trust it. To me, this is a saftey issue. Consider the consequences if one breaks at 40 mph going around a turn. '35 wheels are not that uncommon and I would opt for other, less worn wheels. JMO. Ken

supereal    -- 01-30-2011 @ 11:09 AM
  Most cracks that originated around the lug holes were the result of loose lug nuts. This was called "wallowing", and was quite common, and usually resulted in metal "fatigue" in other parts of the wheel. I wouldn't trust a repaired wheel unless it was used as an occasional spare tire carrier. At the very least, a failed wheel would cause considerable damage to the car, and the chances of injury are not worth the chance. Replacement wheels are available. Coker offers the wire wheels in prime or chrome, and has '35 hubcaps, as well. Needless to say, the price isn't low. Their site is www.coker.com

1934 Ford    -- 01-30-2011 @ 4:00 PM
  We all have opinions, so here's mine.
The answer depends on the condition of the entire wheel.
If all three pictures are the same wheel, paint it and hang your air hose on it, it's junk.
If it's 3 differnt wheels and this is the only defect, I'd weld #1 and trash #2 & #3.
The cautions are good, but yes welding can restore a wheel to safe condition, if all other parts of the wheel are good.

JM    -- 01-31-2011 @ 7:51 AM
  Here is my opinion, and like a belly button, everybody has one .The cracks at the lug nut holes could have been caused by putting those wheels on later style drums, and pulling the wheels down against the drums without having the proper support projections or rings between center of wheel, near lugs, and mounting surface on drums. These cracks may be fixable by welding but why take the risk when better rims are available? The heavily pitted rim with the crack near or on the bead line should be trashed or used as a hose holder as someone else mentioned. Again this is just my opinion.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 1-31-11 @ 7:56 AM

supereal    -- 01-31-2011 @ 8:24 AM
  We do lots of welding of all types at our shop, and we don't repair cracked or broken wheels of any kind because of the probability of failure and the consequent legal exposure. Most old metal is brittle and welding, regardless of how skillful, often results in breakage at or near the weld.

RSS    -- 01-31-2011 @ 5:13 PM
  Thanks everyone for the replies, I will be looking for replacements for the cracked wheels. I will use one of the old ones for the spare. Randy

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2512