Topic: 1939 ford tools supplied when new?

greginski    -- 01-27-2011 @ 2:53 PM
  I have been following the discussions on the other tool kits and decided to track down what I needed for my 39 4drdlx.

Looked up in the index what Times articles had mentioned 39 tools. And just by chance I still happen to have an issue from long ago that had a reply from Alan Darr on just such a question! The reply said "tool bag, wrench 7/16" x 1/2 hex open end, wrench 8/16"(that has me puzzled, was it supposed to be 9/16 or ?)x 5/8" hex open end, spark plug and cylinder head nut wrench, screwdriver, adjustable wrench, pliers, wheel nut wrench, starting crank, starting crank extension, tire pump, jack assembly, tire iron, grease gun and tire repair kit. The jack assembly was wrapped in a burlap sack."

Ok, pretty good list, but no pictures are to be found anywhere I have looked on the internet. Anyone have a location to go to or a picture of their own that they are willing to share. Thanks for a second time.

Greg

kubes40    -- 01-27-2011 @ 3:18 PM
  Greg,
The 'standard' kit of tools supplied with you car included:
Large tool bag. This was made of burlap and did NOT have a Ford script.
Small tool pouch. This was made of leatherette.
Open end wrench. 7/16 x 1/2
Open end wrench. 9/16 x 5/8
Screwdriver
Adjustable wrench.
Spark plug / head nut wrench.
Pliers.
Bumper jack w/base.
Tire iron/hub cap tool/jack handle.
Lug nut wrench.

Optional tools were:
Grease gun.
Engine crank / lug nut wrench w/ extension.
Tire pump.

I have photos of each and every tool if you desire.
I strongly advise anyone that needs correct tools for their Ford to contact Lin Stacey, the Tool Adviser for our club. Not only is he the tool 'guru' he is one heck of a nice & ethical guy.

Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-27-11 @ 3:20 PM

greginski    -- 01-27-2011 @ 7:36 PM
  thanks, ok pretty close, any web site, pix available?

greg

kubes40    -- 01-28-2011 @ 5:52 AM
  As I suggested in my earlier post, I would contact Lin Stacey, the tool adviser for our Club. If you'd like pictures of specific tools, I need your email address.
You may want to consider purchasing the 38 - 39 restoration manual the Club offers...
Mike Kubarth

wrosenkrans    -- 01-28-2011 @ 6:58 AM
  Agree with Mike - Lin is the person you want to contact. The email address for Lin in the V8 magazine is incorrect. Should be: linstacey@sbcglobal.net

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

trjford8    -- 01-28-2011 @ 7:10 PM
  If you have the V-8 Club's 38-39 book you will see a photo of the tools on page 3-49. It's a good book with a lot of great information. If you do not have it you can order it on-line on this site or you can call 707-226-5256 between 8:00am and 6:00pm PST. This is the number for the people who sell the V-8 Club acessories.

greginski    -- 01-29-2011 @ 7:40 PM
  thanks for all of your answers, i really appreciate them but

i guess there is a point somewhere between having a car bought from the dealership in 1939 taken home and put in the garage sealed in a nitrogen environment and opened again 71 years later....and having an old car that has been cared for and you are kind of trying to bring back to it's previous glory without ever hoping to make it perfect but trying to show people what cars were in their glory days.

i am not going to ever win any concourse prizes but just enjoy myself and astonish people when they find out the radio works!

that is about all

thanks again

greg

obtw

anyone have a '39 4 door convert they want to dispose of at some absurdly ridiculously cheap price?? like under 10K ???, didn't think so

enjoy the superbowl

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2501