Topic: 2 questions on 59-AB

thirtysixford    -- 01-26-2011 @ 7:22 PM
  Hi I have some minor work to do on a 59-AB. Two questions:

The fuel pump push rod I took out of the engine has a brass tip on the fuel pump end. It also shows some marks near the brass tip where it was ground down . I bought a new rod that is steel tip to tip. Is the brass tipped one original?

Second question concerns the vacuum advance tube from the timing cover to the manifold. The timing cover end has a brass fitting that appears to be 3/16 tubing but there is no ferrule on the tube. I had to cut the tube to get it off. It looks like the nut has the taper that you would see on a ferrule and that nut crushes down on the tube. I see the tube at Mac's but it does not show the nut on the timing cover end?????

supereal    -- 01-27-2011 @ 10:24 AM
  The important spec on the fuel pump rod for your 59A is the length. It should be 8.87". I suspect that someone brazed material on the end of your rod to increase the stroke of a weak fuel pump. As to the distributor vacuum line, you will have to replace it since it was cut. Order a 21A-12226. C&G has them, with fitting, for about $11. Also order the distributor end fitting, 490-251, $2, and the rubber grommet that seals the distributor body to the cover. The vacuum "snubber" system on your car isn't really vital because today's fuel is higher octane, but you should avoid any vacuum leaks between the carb and the timing cover to prevent idling problems.

thirtysixford    -- 01-27-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  Thank you for the reply.
I suspected what you said about the fuel pump shaft, but thought I'd get a second opinion.

I ordered the vacuum line and also the 490-251 which is the nut I was talking about that screws into the timing cover. Apparently there is no ferrule needed.

The picture on C&G's site looks like the line, 21a-12226 has a "banjo" fitting at the manifold end. Is this correct?

I also have a vacuum line that goes to the windshield wiper motor that is currently connected to the same manifold port as the advance line with a plastic "Tee".
Any advice as to how to make this look more original?

Thanks for your help Supereal!

supereal    -- 01-27-2011 @ 1:21 PM
  The banjo fitting allows the vacuum to be provided via a hollow bolt, as I recall.

supereal    -- 01-27-2011 @ 1:51 PM
  The banjo fitting fits over the shank of the windshield wiper check valve at the base of the carb. The valve prevents damage to the wiper motor in the event of a backfire. It is called a "connector", and I believe it is # 11A-17595-A. I didn't find it listed in any of our catalogs, so perhaps someone out there knows a source. From your description, it sounds as if someone just threaded a tee into the port on the intake manifold. For lack of a better solution, we sometimes just give a plastic fitting a shot of semigloss black paint to make it less noticable.

thirtysixford    -- 01-27-2011 @ 3:52 PM
  Thanks Supereal..... I have seen in posts from past years, your shop does distributor set-up. Would like some info on that.

PM me

oldford2    -- 01-27-2011 @ 5:00 PM
  Super,
That is interesting. I did not know the function of the "valve" on the manifold was protection in case of a backfire. Don't know why, but I thought is was to silence vacuum noise from entering behind the dash. Thanks for your input. John

42guy    -- 01-27-2011 @ 7:30 PM
  Those valves are getting as scarce as hen's teeth. I see them on E bay once in a while and aren't cheap.

42guy    -- 01-27-2011 @ 7:30 PM
  Those valves are getting as scarce as hen's teeth. I see them on E bay once in a while and aren't cheap.

supereal    -- 01-28-2011 @ 9:22 AM
  John: Yes, they are listed in the green book as a "silencer", but do function as a check valve in case of a backfire. A backfire thru the intake almost always damages or destroys the power valve, as well, a good reason to use starting fluid carefully. If I didn't have the correct part, I'd construct a vacuum reservoir from a large tin can, such as for juice, and insert it into the wiper line to both increase wiper action, and to absorb some of the "kick" if there is a backfire. The fitting that holds the "silencer" is important, as it allows vacuum to enter the "banjo" on the line to the distributor. As to the question about distributor set up, yes we do it, but recommend that the distributor be sent to Skip Haney, as he has all the parts necessary for the job on hand. We have to disassemble the unit, then determine what we need, order them, hoping none are backordered, particularly the shaft, then find time to get at it. Skip is a pro and can be contacted at skip@fordsrus.com, or 941/637-6698.

oldford2    -- 01-28-2011 @ 5:54 PM
  42guy,

Richard, Verizon scr*w*d up my email last month and I lost all my contacts. Please send me an email. Thanks. John
oldford2@verizon.net

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2499