Topic: 36 starter

bgalla    -- 01-26-2011 @ 5:13 PM
  What is the usual problem when bench testing a starter if one gets a significant spark when battery tested? That is when the positive side of the battery is connected to the starter body and the negative is touched to the terminal, sparks fly. thank Bruce

JM    -- 01-26-2011 @ 5:56 PM
  From my experience with DC motors, here are some conditions, that I know of, that could cause heavy arcing/sparking at the commutator/brushes during armature rotation:

1. Brushes worn down to the point that they are making poor/intermittent contact with the commutator.
2. Commutator worn uneven causing brushes to bounce/lift off commutator bars intermittently.
3. Crud or burned residue on commutator bar surfaces.
4. High mica insulation in commutator slots.
5. Shorted field windings.
6. Shorted armature windings.
7. One or more commutator bars raised above the others.
8. Open coil windings in armature.
9. Armature lamination stack rubbing steel field poles.
10. Armature turning in wrong direction with respect to a leading commutator connect for the opposite direction of rotation.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 1-27-11 @ 5:47 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 01-26-2011 @ 8:39 PM
  sparks fly? are the sparks coming off the starter post or the brushes?

bgalla    -- 01-26-2011 @ 8:42 PM
  Thanks JM, thats twice as many things as I had thought about. Bruce

bgalla    -- 01-26-2011 @ 8:43 PM
  No, off where contact is made. B

alanwoodieman    -- 01-27-2011 @ 6:53 AM
  what you are seeing is normally happening inside the starter solenoid. lots of amps cause lots of sparks if done in an oxegon rich inviroment, solenoids are air tight, enclosed so you see no sparks

drkbp    -- 01-27-2011 @ 10:33 AM
  It will spark as you touch the lead but the starter should begin to turn and run. In use, that contact is made inside the switch contacts under the floorboard as the '36 did not come with a solenoid and you wouldn't be able to see it.

Doesn't mean anything is wrong if the starter runs well and doesn't drag.

Ken in Texas

supereal    -- 01-29-2011 @ 11:45 AM
  The starter draws the most current of any part of the car's electrical system, and an arc when the unit is energized is usual. One of the first things you learn when you "motor" a starter is to secure the thru bolts with a nut on each before you hit the juice so it doesn't kick the ends off, and do wear your steel toed shoes, as these starters can whip themselves right off the bench if not tied down or held securely. Don't ask how I know that!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2496