Topic: Original versus Reprinted Brochures

stovebolt    -- 01-24-2011 @ 6:41 AM
  How can one tell if a brochure is an original and not an older reprint? Must the reprints have a declaration on them stating they are reprints or authorized by the car company? The case in point is a 1940 Ford station wagon sales brochure. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

alanwoodieman    -- 01-24-2011 @ 7:58 AM
  most of these were done by a company called Polyprints and will have that logo on the back cover. Originals will also have a print number on the brochure. 40 wagon brochures have been reprinted for years. I have had one but passed it on because the dealer album has the same info.

supereal    -- 01-24-2011 @ 8:52 AM
  Some of the best Ford materials I have came from magazines of the era. I found them at swap meets and flea market, then had them mounted and framed. Usually the color and details are better than the reprints as long as the fragile paper is in good condition. I think many survived because the magazine covers and pages protected them. Most of my original shop manuals have been thumbed to death, and became dog-eared from use. For that info, repros do fine. I salvaged a complete set of service bulletins over the years, but they have been complied into books now. Collecting authentic car material is a field all its own, usually separate from actual car use, it seems.

ford38v8    -- 01-24-2011 @ 9:56 AM
  As Alan points out, most reprints have the Polyprints logo, although some do not. Originals will almost invariably have rusty staples, with slight bleeding of rust into the surrounding paper, whereas reprints will appear newer. Quality of those reprints is generally excellent, making it difficult to tell them from originals.

Alan

stovebolt    -- 01-24-2011 @ 3:00 PM
  The reason I'm asking is because recently I purchased, on-line, a 1940 Ford station wagon 4 page brochure that was described as being a rare original. When I received it I noticed on the first 3 pages a picture of a vertical crease (not the crease itself) but not on the 4th page all which leads me to believe that I've got a copy, not an original. There is no logo at all, neither from Ford or the printer. The size of the paper is odd also, 11 5/8" X 8 3/8". Does anyone have a verified original or copy to compare these features? All opinions will be appreciated.

This message was edited by stovebolt on 1-24-11 @ 4:31 PM

kubes40    -- 01-24-2011 @ 7:35 PM
  Steve,
Email me at kubes40@att.net
I have a vast collection of authentic 40 literature and perhaps I can help you.
Mike Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 01-25-2011 @ 4:46 AM
  the station wagon literature you mention was reproduced many years ago (20-25 years). It is without any way to tell it is a reproduction except for the crease which is printed on the paper. See Bob Drakes catalog 25 on page 462 DG-011 is $8.00

stovebolt    -- 01-25-2011 @ 12:56 PM
  It's definitely an older reprint. The vendor will accept it's return. Thank you to all for your opinions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2488