Topic: BENCH TEST A GENERATOR

blarge    -- 01-23-2011 @ 4:50 PM
  I WANT TO CLEAN UP A USED 1947 FORD GENERATOR AND KEEP IT FOR A SPARE TO USE ON MY 48 MERCURY. BEFORE I SPEND THE TIME TO CLEAN IT UP, I WOULD LIKE TO TEST IT TO SEE IF IT WORKS. CAN I USE A 6V BATTERY TO SEE IF IT SPINS ON A BENCH? IF SO, HOW ARE THE WIRES HOOKED UP? DOES A BENCH TEST OF THIS SORT USUALLY INDICATE IT WILL WORK OK ON THE CAR? BILL LARGE

Dobie    -- 01-23-2011 @ 6:10 PM
  You can hook a batt to ground and Arm terminal and it should go. In some cases you might have to hook a jumper to the field from the arm post. It should turn slow if all is well.

This message was edited by Dobie on 1-23-11 @ 6:38 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-24-2011 @ 2:28 PM
  Also clean comutater with electric contact cleaner, and use a fine sand paper to put a shine on it,
it will jump like a starter motor if it is any good,
also just make contact for a 10 seconds or so,
check for arcing of the brushes. and the length and condition of them,
You might check it out, to see if it is worth keeping in the trunk,so you can reley on it,nothing worse then putting aa part on that does not work,especialy on the road,my 3cents 37RAGTOPMAN

blarge    -- 01-24-2011 @ 5:35 PM
  I BENCH TESTED MY GENERATOR AS DOBIE SUGGESTED AND IT WORKS FINE. I HAD TO PUT THE JUMPER FROM THE FIELD TO THE ARMATURE. THANKS FOR THE INFO. BILL LARGE

supereal    -- 01-25-2011 @ 10:07 AM
  While "motoring" a generator will test whether the armature, field, and brushes are intact. the only true way to judge its overall condition is to connect the terminals together, then place a variable load between the output and ground, allowing the voltage to be adjusted to exactly six volts. Then, the current output is measured. With the engine running at about 1,000 rpm, the the output should be very close to 30 amps. Be sure to reconnect the generator to the regulator when complete to prevent damage. This test requires special equipment not usually found in most shops. That is why many otherwise suitable generators are replaced. If the generator passes the test, any problems lie in the regulator, battery, or connections.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2486