Topic: Radio for a 36

quabbinman    -- 01-22-2011 @ 2:54 PM
  I would like to install a radio in my 36 2dr.I prefer an original...is there an after market option??...

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-22-2011 @ 3:28 PM
  I bought a restored one on E-BAY for my 37,
without the control head, which I already had, installed it and it works, here in MAINE , I get one station or so,especially at night,
will be going over the antenna,this is were I think ,I have a few problems,I have a open car with a short antenna,
a friend of mine has a PACKARD, he said the closed car PACKARDS installed the antenna in the ROOF,
might be a good idea also for a FORD,it will be out of sight, before covering the roof,or headliner make sure it works,
this is only a suggestion,for not boring holes in the body to mount the antenna,
36 and earlier had them mounted under the running boards, I do not know of any body that had success with this set up,
this is just a suggestion were to look, you could also put a want on this web site, under parts wanted,
or try a good swap meet, like HERSHEY PA in the FALL
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,

flatheadfan    -- 01-22-2011 @ 4:39 PM
  If you have a '36 you already have a factory antenna. During initial assembly Ford installed a "chicken wire" antenna in the roof. There is no practical way to get to the antenna but there is no need to rip everything apart to find it. If you look behind the dash in the vicinity of the left-hand "A" pillar you will see the antenna lead. It has a bayonet attachment on the end. Just connect the radio lead to this lead and you are in business.

I do have plans for an under running board antenna if interested. The reception is about on a par with the factory antenna.

A factory radio is super easy to install. You already have two indentations on the firewall where the two radio attachment bolts go. The whole process can take less than 20 minutes to install.

As for the radio itself, a Ford factory model (Philco) is the easiest to work with. Depending on the model you may or may not have a built-in speaker. In most cases the speaker can be easily mounted behind the headliner between the two visors.

The needed radio can be found by watching the normal auction sites. In fact, I might have one but PM if interested.

Hope this helps.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 01-22-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  Second type of '36 radio.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-23-2011 @ 5:46 AM
  was wondering if the one with the speaker in it,is a open car, this is what I was told,
and is for 36 and early 37'S ,
hard to find info out on this,
thanks 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,!!!!

quabbinman    -- 01-23-2011 @ 6:00 AM
  Is your radio for sale???...

flatheadfan    -- 01-23-2011 @ 4:19 PM
  Check you "in" box.

Tom

Jim    -- 01-31-2011 @ 7:26 PM
  I HAVE A 1936 RADIO FOR SALE. IF INTERESTED, EMAIL ME AT GROSSJKV8@aol.com

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2484