Topic: ?correct fog/driving lights for 1939 fords?

greginski    -- 01-20-2011 @ 7:03 PM
  i am looking to put a pair of yellow driving/fog lights on a 1939 ford....is there a ford factory part or an acceptable equivalent that i should be looking for

trjford8    -- 01-20-2011 @ 7:42 PM
  Check with any of the V-8 repo parts suppliers. Most carry the correct lights for your car.

Old Henry    -- 01-20-2011 @ 8:37 PM
  Here are some used ones: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=1939+ford+fog&_sacat=&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_odkw=1947+ford&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Here are some new universal ones: https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=63&g=522&t=2602&tn=

Here are some original style script: http://macsautoparts.com/search.asp?sb=0&ls=y&camid=F30&year=1939&make=Ford&ss=fog

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 1-20-11 @ 8:40 PM

40 Coupe    -- 01-21-2011 @ 5:25 AM
  the correct fog light is Ford script but the script is stamped in an oval, into the sh*ll on the top of the light. Most of these are made by Unity Mfg. Co. the bracket is three piece and the switch is very much in appearance like the dash light dimmer, with a fuse built on. I don't believe the Ford P/N will help since most will not have a Ford box, and there is no part number on the lights or the brackets. Bob Drake reproduced these lights many years ago, but his reproduction is just like the original. Keep looking in the usual places they do turn up.

kubes40    -- 01-21-2011 @ 6:36 AM
  "40coupe" got it right. None of the lights on ebay currently are totally correct and certainly none of the after-market are correct. I'll see if I can post a photo later today.

37 Coupe    -- 01-21-2011 @ 6:44 AM
  Often wonder why Bob Drake offered such a fine repro or remake of the Ford script Unity fog light for a few years and quit on them. Did he really make them in house or was he able to get Unity to remake a run of them and now they are not in business or not in the USA?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-21-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  JOBLOT AUTO PARTS in NY ,have them in there catalog,
Made by UNITY, very nice,
I just bought a set for my 37, the FORD is on them but in blocked letters. close enough for me I am more interested in the light that they will give off,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!
you can check on E-BAY for originals, run about $350.00 and then you have to maybe rechrome.
if you are going for Judging, leave them OFF.

TomO    -- 01-21-2011 @ 9:24 AM
  I have to disagree with 40 Coupe about the correct marking on the 39 Road Lamps.

Most of the original lights had NO marking on the top, but had "MADE FOR FORD MOTOR CO BY UNITY MFG .CO. CHICAGO USA" engraved on the bottom of the housing around the mount. These lights do not have the sealed beam bulb and are about 6" in diameter.

Tom

kubes40    -- 01-21-2011 @ 10:38 AM
  Tom, What you are describing sounds MUCH more like the '40 lamps. '39 lamps were most certainly different than '40.
In fact, the '39 lamps had the Ford script in an oval atop the lamp bucket. On one side (the top of the oval) is stamped DELUXE in block letters. Below the oval is "U.S.A." stamped in block letters.
Bulbs vs. sealed beams - yes. 6" diameter lens - yes.
"40coupe" was correct in stating that Drake reproduced these back in the late 70's. One of a few items he actually did a wonderful job recreating. Perhaps that's why they haven't been available since...probably cost too much (not enough profit) to make such a quality reproduction.

37ragtopman, Finding a pair of these (authentic) for $350 that require plating? How many sets do you have at that price? I'll take them all.
Joblot's lamps are decent enough if you are not interested in authenticity as you mention as they are not close to what was originally offered.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-21-2011 @ 4:16 PM
  2 years ago there was a set for sale in the flea market at the WINDSOR 2009 V8 NATIONAL MEET,for around $350.00
I think trying to find a set of originals is pretty hard, there are too many opinions which ones are correct, I believe if you were standing in a FORD dealer in 1936, 1937, 1938,1939,1940,,,,They would have sold you what they had in stock, now 70 + years later, how do you know what exactly is original.
FORD script this FORD script that, I am sure UNITY made several different ways of adding the script,
and might have send a FORD dealer some with out the script also,
this is only my 3 cents,
I have learned if you are not certain it is original
LEAVE it OFF, if it is not there,they cannot deduct points,
I gave up many years ago having my car judged,just to many experts,
37RAGTOPMAN

greginski    -- 01-21-2011 @ 5:07 PM
  thanks for all answers on the driving lights. it seems that they were whatever the dealership had on hand, could be "ford", maybe not. so i will just see what comes along, the car is not a show car so the "exact" lights are not absolutely necessay

trjford8    -- 01-21-2011 @ 7:00 PM
  Nice looking 39 Deluxe. Put whatever you feel looks good on your car. You are the one that has to be happy. I see you live in Washington. If you come to the Portland swap meet in April I'll be you find a set of fog lamps that will fit your wallet and your car.

marks01c    -- 01-21-2011 @ 8:25 PM
  You could try for a set of King Bee lamps at a parts swap, or search online. They are similar to the Unity lamps.

kubes40    -- 01-22-2011 @ 7:28 AM
  37ragtopman,

You asked how, 70 years later one determines what was the correct part... well, simply put, by studying. That is, by studying far beyond the parts books and what 'opinions' are spread at shows, etc. The information / documentation is out there if one desires to dig deep enough.
To quote you in part ... "Too many 'experts"... well yes and no in my opinion. Yes, there are a lot of guys that THINK they know. Many of them in fact DO know. Sadly, there are also guys that are misinformed.
We all have much to learn, myself included. That's why I choose to study in such depth as I do.

Some, like myself also choose to 'fine tune' our restorations as much as possible to allow a true glimpse into the past for those so inclined to understand what truly "was".
Others get their primary enjoyment from customizing their vehicles so they (the vehicles) satisfy the owners purpose. It sounds like you may fall into this category. I say "good for you - Enjoy"!

You are of course correct in stating that the dealer may have put any lamp he had in stock on the car regardless of 'authenticity' applicable to year of manufacture. Of course in this case (a 1939) the dealer could not have installed a lamp not yet produced (1940). Just because a dealer may have installed what he had in stock, does NOT make it correct on the concourse.

I also agree with you in that if one is not certain his chosen accessory is correct, he is better off keeping it from his vehicle.

I answered the guys question with authenticity in regard to a concourse car. He did in fact ask about Ford part numbers, acceptability, etc. That led me to believe he wanted 'correct' lamps for his 39. If he wasn't concerned with authenticity as it was later admitted, then I wonder why he asked in the manner he had? Perhaps he should have / could have asked what others have done? Perhaps what others prefer? The answer in either case would be simply to place any lamps (he) would like on the car.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-22-11 @ 7:32 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-22-2011 @ 2:50 PM
  kubes40
if you want to judge a car as it left the factory, or as it left the dealer is two different ways, leaving the factory is the way it should be judged.
leaving the dealer opens many hours of debates.
if you put it on the car, besure to have the original
papers to show it is original to your car, or loose points, this is the rule I go by,
is this original is that original,someone will always have a opinon, and let you know it,
there is a lot of additions as the car was made even some of the accessories were not availible when the car was made and came out later in that year,
a SEPT car could be a lot different then a APRIL car,
I tried when I restored my 37 to use all FORD ORIGINAL
parts on it as much as I could.and also the original color, that I liked versus the original color it came in,
this is my 3 cents worth taken with a grain of salt,
YES some of these questions could be asked in different terms,
I think some people asking questions should join the club and get the V8 TIMES,
also the UNITY FOG LIGHTS , JOBLOT SELLS are around $175.00 or so and are a good value,NICE CHROME,
I would not put on a early FORD for judging, but I will just for the extra light,
37RAGTOPMAN, and KEEP on FORDIN,,,,,!!

40 Coupe    -- 01-23-2011 @ 4:47 AM
  Ford started using the Unity fog light with the Ford script stamped directly into the top of the light housing around 1/27/38. so for 1939 production it was probbly the only fog light left on the dealers shelf. the glass lens is prismatic and marked 9065 "Unity Mfg. Co." under that it is marked "Chicago" The last time I looked Unity was still in business. for 39 the bulb is a #2330 headlight bulb but the bulb socket has only one of the filaments wired. The brackets are three piece ( this is a correction to my previous posting)

Stroker    -- 01-23-2011 @ 7:47 AM
  I bought a pair of the previously described Drake reproductions in the mid-seventies for my 38 Wagon. At the time, I thought they were a little "pricey", but the quality was outstanding.

TomO    -- 01-25-2011 @ 9:20 AM
  After further research, I came to the conclusion that I was mis-informed about the fog lights and the ones that I described are the 1940 lights. I bought them many years ago and after buying them was told that they were not for the 1940 cars, they were for the 38-39 cars.

Thank you 40Coupe and Mike for setting me straight.

Tom

Kenneth M.    -- 01-25-2011 @ 1:06 PM
  I wonder if the 40 book will ever be done?????? The V8 club needs to get it done. They are losing money on this not being done.

Kenneth M. Stewart

ford38v8    -- 01-25-2011 @ 2:24 PM
  Kenneth, For the '40 book, as is the case with all the books the club has published and will publish, there are quite a few members qualified to offer their knowledge and research to the project, but very few who are willing and able to devote the time. This is a volunteer job, unpaid, a work of love. It is also a job that is actually never done, as new research constantly causes revisions.

If you have input toward the book, I'm sure that Mike Kubarth, the lead author, would appreciate your assistance. You may post to him directly on the "New 1940 Ford Book" Forum.

Alan

Kenneth M.    -- 01-25-2011 @ 3:41 PM
  I Judge with Mike this year on 40 Fords and he worked with us and taught all us what he expected from us and was willing to go over the car with the owner. He went out of his way to make sure that each car was judge as it should be. when the book is done it will be something each 40 Ford must have.I do look forward in reading the book when done because it will be done correct.I look forward in working with him again.

Kenneth M. Stewart

vintageman    -- 01-25-2011 @ 5:29 PM
  I have a set of the Drake fog lights new in the box. If interested contact me.

37 Coupe    -- 01-26-2011 @ 6:51 AM
  Check out Ebay item 180616754318,used but correct Ford Unity lamps for 1939.

39 Ken    -- 01-26-2011 @ 10:00 AM
  Vintageman, Check your PM's (personal messages).

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2481