Topic: Still stalling

silverchief    -- 11-03-2009 @ 2:30 PM
  Still trying to correct my 46 new problem of stalling when I punch it. Idles and runs smooth. Can find no
obvious vacuum leak. No reason for float level to suddenly be out of kilter. Adjustment on accelerator pump is set for cold weather. Accelerates smoothly if you don't crowd it. Needle valve? I don't think so.
I'm guessing at this point.

ford38v8    -- 11-03-2009 @ 6:58 PM
  Chief, From your other posts, we have determined that you likely have a
substantial vacuum leak that causes your engine to buck. You told us that
you tightened the vacuum line at your carburetor, which I take to mean just
below the carburetor? You also have a vacuum leak at the aftermarket
wiper motor controls? Other places a leak can occur are at either end of the
vacuum line to your distributor, at the base of your intake manifold, and at
the base of your carburetor.

I would suggest that you temporarily disconnect the wiper hose and plug
that port, so you can determine if there are any other leaks. Get a can of
Engine Starting Fluid and while the engine is idling, lightly spray any spot
that you think may have a vacuum leak. A leak will immediately cause the
engine to momentarily speed up as the starter fluid is drawn into the
system. Caution: The fluid is Ether, and is highly flammable, so leave your
air filter in place, and do not spray the fluid directly into the filter.

Let us know the results.

Alan

TomO    -- 11-04-2009 @ 7:44 AM
  In one of your other posts, you were going to hook up a vacuum gauge to help isolate your problem. Did you do this and what were the results?

Tom

supereal    -- 11-04-2009 @ 8:18 AM
  Your later post says your vacuum switch for the wipers in leaking. I'd start there.

silverchief    -- 11-04-2009 @ 11:30 AM
  Thanks Supereal,

I should have been a little more specific. The switch leaks audibly if too far to the left. Moving it slightly back to the right and it closes down and becomes quiet.
Wipers operate fine. I have tried to replace it without success. For your info I hooked up a vacuum guage and
it holds dead steady at 16 - which is correct for figuring l less point for every 1,000 feet above sea level.

silverchief    -- 11-04-2009 @ 11:44 AM
  Thanks buddy,

My 46 has a stock 49 flathead, and the vac line from the distributor connects into the carb barrel itself. The vac connect below the carb runs to the wiper switch.
The engine starts on 1/4 turn hot or cold, and you can
almost balance a quarter on the intake. The wiper switch leaks vacuum only when in a certain position. This hesitation just started, and otherwise street
Thanks again.performance makes me very doubtful that it results from a vacuum leak.
However, I am going to do the starting fluid thing you suggested, and I will let you know the results.

silverchief    -- 11-04-2009 @ 11:48 AM
  Tom,

Yes I hooked up a vacuum gauge and it holds very steady
at 16 We are 5,000 feet above sea level here so that is correct.

Thanks

supereal    -- 11-04-2009 @ 12:40 PM
  As you have indicated the accelerator pump is working OK (putting two good jets of gas into the carb when the throttle is worked), and the vacuum lines are hooked into the proper places, I'd put a timing light on and observe the action of the distributor advance when you goose the throttle. Watch the crank pulley marks and see if you are getting good advance. The '49 distributor is vacuum only, and has no weights. The failure of the diaphram is a common cause of stalling or hesitation.

silverchief    -- 11-05-2009 @ 8:14 AM
  Thanks Supereal -

As usual I get an education from you.
I am fully retired and get a lot of enjoyment from my beautiful little 46 coupe. Dinking with every little problem, trying to get it to run perfectly ( not meant to be) is good therapy for me. I bought the wiper switch TomO found on e-bay for me.

supereal    -- 11-05-2009 @ 11:04 AM
  Love that car! I had one just like it many years ago. It had a flat six in it, so we did a "shade tree" engine transplant to a '49 Olds "Rocket" OHV engine. It took some improvisation to make up the engine to transmission coupler, but we did OK for kids just out of high school. With a set of Caddy hubcaps, fender skirts, and other adornments of the age, we were the talk of the town.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=248