Topic: 1947 Ford Coupe

47fordguy    -- 01-18-2011 @ 10:03 AM
  I hope I'm not breaking any rules of the site but I thought this would be the best place to start.

I currenlty have a 1947 Ford Coupe. I want to sell it.

My grandfather bought the car in 1949. Drove it to and from work until sometime around 1970. At that point he took it apart and took it to his place of employment, Atlanta Hartfield Airport where he was a hangar manager. His buddy worked in the paint shop and painted the car Delta Blue. My grandfather took back home and never put the car back together. He retired and passed away a number of years later. My grandmother passed about five years ago and in cleaning out their home my father asked me if I wanted the car. I took it and now wish I had my garage space back after having two children since I inherited the car.
The car has no rust, no dents and no dings. The trunk is full of parts. One of which is the original speedometer with 70,000 miles. The knobs on the dash still have masking tape where it was painted. Everything is original...top to bottom. I think all or at least the majority of the parts are there. All the windows with the exception of the front windshield. Plus, an original parts book.

Can someone tell me what the market is like for a car like this one? Is there a market for a car like this one? Anyone have any advice for me in the North Atlanta area?

I have tons more pictures and I'll upload some more photos of the car.

This message was edited by 47fordguy on 1-18-11 @ 10:05 AM

supereal    -- 01-18-2011 @ 12:24 PM
  If you plan to sell the car "as is", in parts, certainly the price will be reduced considerably. I'd investigate the cost of reassembling the car, if you are not able to do it yourself, as it will add value. If it is not running, that will also affect the value, of course. Coupes are often sought by street rodders, and you may benefit by advertising in publications that serve that audience. Due to the increasing cost of restoration, cars of special interest, such as open models, bring a premium in almost any condition. Your coupe is likely preferred over sedans, but not by a great amount. Cars are akin to most articles where price is a main consideration. The lower the asking price, the quicker the sale, particularly if a local buyer is involved. Good luck.

CharlieStephens    -- 01-18-2011 @ 1:17 PM
  I would recommend adding your general location to your profile and enabling your email. You may have already missed a buyer. Next send a letter to every Early V8 Club withing 200 miles requesting they place an ad for your car in their newsletter. Go to "Regional Club Directory" on the Home page. If you send a hard topy also send an email as these tend to get picked up and circulated to the members. I doubt they will charge for it since it is really a service to their members but you never know. Remember if you miss a cutoff date for a newsletter it might be a couple of months before your ad goes out. Attend a meeting of any local Early Ford V8 club and bring pictures. If you have a lot of photos consider a site like photobucket to post the entire set of photos. Don't go overboard on assembling it or you might not get that money back.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 1-18-11 @ 3:11 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2472