Topic: Logo

silverchief    -- 11-03-2009 @ 2:22 PM
  My buddy is cleaning out his grandfather's garage and found an old rose colored rubber floor mat for a car. It has an insignia of the head of a lion wearing a crown. He asked me if I could identify what car. Isn't that from an old Chrysler product or something? I told him I would ask.

Thanks

39Fordfan    -- 11-04-2009 @ 4:13 PM
  Hi Silverchief,

Here is a link to a website that has the evolution of car logos. It's pretty interesting. Maybe if you could post a picture, it might narrow things down a bit. Or just take a look at the website I linked and let us know what it is.

Peugeot uses the head of a lion in their logo. Alfa Romeo uses a snake & crown. But from your description, I would guess its SAAB's logo. They use a Griffen (a mythological lion-like creature) wearing a crown. Lots of car maker's logos started off with a coat of arms that had a crown in it. Then they evolved into what we know them as today.

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/02/18/evolution-of-car-logos/

39Fordfan    -- 11-04-2009 @ 4:20 PM
  Pretty interesting what they said about Henry Ford.

I didn't know that "Ford Motor Company" was his third car company. And that he was getting parts supplies from the Dodge brothers who actually got talked into buying shares of the Ford Motor Company.

42wagon    -- 11-05-2009 @ 3:12 AM
  39 Fordfan
There is more to the story. When Ford got on his feet he got tired of his stockholders telling him what to do. So he bought them all out. With the money they got for their stock the Dodge brothers set up their own company to build cars.
Ted

silverchief    -- 11-05-2009 @ 8:02 AM
  39Ford fan

Thank you for such helpful information. I'm going to write it down for future reference.

wmsteed    -- 11-05-2009 @ 9:28 AM
  In reality Dodge Brothers did not get talked into buying stock in Ford. Ford did in fact go broke twice before he formed the Company to build the Model T. At the time DB was the largest supplier of automotive parts in the country. Ford had an idea for the Model T, but no money to build it. Ford therefore entered into an agreemnt with DB to build the first 17,000, or so, Model T's in exchange for stock in Ford. Ford being Ford, he liked to dictate to his suppliers how much profit they could make on the parts/supplies that they supplied to Ford.
As Ford became more successful, he stated bringing more and more of his parts supplies "in house" at the expense of his earlier suppliers.
Dodge was one of the suppliers he tried to dictate to and/or cut off. In reality DB had more wealth than Ford so they told him to go fly a kite and in 1913 started building their own cars.
John Dodge stated that they were: "tired of being carried around in Henry Ford's vest pocket".
I have a friend that recently restored a 1911 Model T touring. The car was an un-restored car that my friend had stored for over thirty-five years. When he disassembled the car he found that the car had been worked on at some point in time....the right rear axle assembly did not have the proper DB stamped on many of the parts.
Since there were many running changes in the T's, he went nuts trying to find the correct DB parts for his T.
The car won the top award for a Model T at their National Show in 2008...
Note! Some of my dates, etc. might be off a little because I wrote the above from memory, in lieu of doing research through my various books.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=247