Topic: Electromotive Distributorless Ignition System

cbkidder    -- 01-17-2011 @ 10:22 PM
  I replaced the distributor in my 59A with a HPV-1 cam-trigger distributorless ignition system from Electromotive (www.emi.cc).

Does anyone else have one in their flathead? What settings do you use, and do you use a vacuum sensor?

36 Roadster
brion@cbkidder.com

oldford2    -- 01-18-2011 @ 5:09 AM
  I would think the vendor would be the best place to get answers to your questions or have you already tried that route? John

supereal    -- 01-18-2011 @ 10:00 AM
  A pointless system usually requires an aftermarket coil that will saturate from the usually short duration of the sensor. If you didn't receive adequate information from the maker, it is likely you will have more problems than those solved. As for vacuum, the 59A takes raw vacuum from the intake manifold for the advance snubber, while a vacuum only distributor draws it from a port in the carb.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-19-2011 @ 11:31 AM
  Hi
I just have to ask a question,really want to KNOW.
what was wrong with the ORIGINAL FORD SET UP,?
which when done right is almost trouble free and if have troubles easy to fix, were you dissatisfied with it.
need more power,?
using modern hi tech equipment.
I hope you have all the test procedure manuals.
I have seen the HDI CHEVY DIST , USED in old 49-53 FORDS,and MERCS.
which seem to work out pretty good,
this is just my 3 cents worth. I like it the way it was, which has worked for me since 1979,on my 37.
37RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

51f1    -- 01-19-2011 @ 12:04 PM
  Also, the original cooling system and the 6-volt electrical system will work if maintained properly.

Richard

cbkidder    -- 01-19-2011 @ 1:24 PM
  Thanks for all the replies. Mine works fine; I was just curious to hear how other users have theirs set up. I see them on flatheads on YouTube so I know they aren't uncommon.

It has a cam trigger where the distributor used to be, and it fires a 4-coil module for increased spark strength and a cleaner, stronger running engine.

Thanks again

36 Roadster
brion@cbkidder.com

tbloss    -- 01-20-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  Can't beat the distributor that came on your car. When the car quits on the side of the road, its usually easy to get it going again. With the new electronics you can't fix it on the side of the road.

Keep an original distributor in the trunk for a fast fix. Don't ask me how I know. Tom

Tblossom

This message was edited by tbloss on 1-20-11 @ 7:28 AM

supereal    -- 01-20-2011 @ 11:38 AM
  cb: I'm curious. What does that system use to control spark advance?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-21-2011 @ 8:39 AM
  Be careful on what plugs you are using,
I have fear with using the wrong plugs, fuel or the timing not correct,,, you might burn holes the pistons over a long period of use,if the timing is not set right,
maybe for racing that would be a good set up,for the short term,
but this is just my 3 cents worth, but I would do a little reserch on this,
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2468